Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fishing…For Men!

1 Samuel 19; 1 Chronicles 7; Psalm 59; Matthew 4
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

The Calling of the First Disciples

Matthew 4:18-22

"As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him."

Observation

I love to fish and I think that it is great that Jesus loves guys that love to fish! The first four guys to become his disciples loved to fish! I wonder why Jesus didn’t choose four shepherds first instead of four fishermen. His command to them was and still is today, “Come Follow Me” and I will make you fishers of men! How did you get caught? How are you at fishing for men/women? I like it because Jesus called simple fishermen instead of educated lawyers or doctors or theologians, just simple plain fishermen! I would have loved to be there. Can you imagine what their fathers’ thought? I wonder if they already knew Jesus or at least already knew about Him? I wonder if the fathers also became Christ-Followers, or I wonder if the Dads also became “Fishers of Men”? I love these stories don’t you!


Application

Bottom line…Jesus is calling us to be “Fishers of Men”! How’s the fishing? Catching anything?


Prayer

Heavenly Father, I want to be a fisher of men. Father, help my focus be on this task. Help me put all the other stuff in its place and keep this commandment as the most important. Lord, bring me close to some fish (men) today that need to be caught!



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: