Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Women in Ministry! Absolutely!

Ezra 2; Ezra 3; Luke 8
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Luke 8

1 After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, 2 and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; 3 Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod's household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means.

Observation

It amazes me how we always seem to have people in leadership that are against something that we are doing in our churches and want to tell us that we are liberals etc. because we allow certain things that they feel are not Biblical. The role of women in ministry today is just one good example. Liberals in my view are folks that don’t believe in the Virgin Birth of Christ, His Deity etc. But some in our Baptist convention describe someone as a liberal because they don’t believe exactly the same way they do. It is their way or no way. Some would think of me as liberal because I allow a woman to speak in church on a Sunday morning. Anytime a Beth Moore, or an Ann Graham Lotz wants to speak in our church on Sunday morning I am going to say, “Yes”. And I am also going to let the Director of our student ministry Laurel Barden, speak to our church as I feel led to invite her. (I have revised the above sentence which did read, "I am also going to let the Director of our student ministry Laurel Barden, speak on a regular basis.") I changed it because it made it sound like I was going to ask Laurel to speak on a weekly basis. I was trying to make a point, but the point was taken way past what I had intended. I will comment more about this in the comment section!

My opinion (and it is just my opinion) is that women can serve in any position in our churches as long as they have a man over them in the role as senior pastor. (I do believe that the more men you have serving as leaders the stronger your church will be.) Let me add that in any church where I am going to be a member there would need to be a man as senior pastor. If a church wants to have a woman as their senior pastor then that is their business, and I would cooperate with them to fulfill the Great Commission but I just would not be a member of that church.

Jesus didn’t seem to have a problem with women in ministry. It seems that He had women that traveled with him as He traveled from town to town and He didn’t have a problem being supported by their generosity.

Let me add that many times women have to fill roles that men should be filling because there are no men to fill those spots, or there are no men willing. On the mission field, women missionaries have started churches and out of necessity had to fill the role of pastor because there was no man there yet to pastor the church. Women are strong leaders in our churches today. They have always been strong leaders since the day they walked with Jesus like we find them doing in Luke chapter 8!

Application

I will write a note to some of our strong leaders today that just happen to be women and encourage them in their ministry!


Prayer

Heavenly Father, smile on us today. May your face shine on my wife, Kathy. She is a strong but gentle leader. Thank you for blessing me with her. Use her today to calm some storms. Help her to be an encourager and use her to help other women be all that you want them to be. Enlarge her ministry Lord. I pray for our other women that are in leadership. May they sense their worth and value today and may they draw their strength from you. Use them greatly in the life of our church. Amen!



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eddy, I don't know where this journey with God will take me. But I am very thankful to be serving along side you and Kathy.

Eddy Williams said...

This comment is a response to an email that I received about my blog concerning women in ministry. Let me start by saying that I appreciate and love every leader (male and female)in our church. I was trying to encourage the women in our church by my comments about Jesus and those that followed him. My comments were my attempt to show the value of women in ministry and I was not trying to take away the man's Biblical role in leadership in the church. I believe that every woman in our church should be under the spiritual authority/leadership of a man. In the case of "Laurel" and her ministry in our church I know that Laurel completely understands that she serves under the spiritual authority of her husband and under the spiritual leadership of her pastor. I believe that is what the scriptures teach about spiritual authority and leadership. The danger for me in trying to write and trying to express myself is that things can be taken completely 100% differently than what I intended. And as I re-read what I wrote I can understand how someone could misunderstand what I said, but...I'm sad that for a couple of reasons: 1. I can't express myself better so people can really know my heart and I am sad, 2. "that after this much time at church some folks close to me still don't know me very well." And by that I am not saying that they have to agree with me, my wife doesn't even agree with me but she does trust me that I wouldn't do anything that would bring shame on the cause of Christ.