Wednesday, November 29, 2006

In “ALL” Circumstances

1 Thessalonians 4; 1 Thessalonians 5; 2 Thessalonians 1; 2 Thessalonians 2; 2 Thessalonians 3

Scripture

1 Thessalonians 5:18

“give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.”

Observation

I think we need to understand what this verse says and what it doesn’t say. Paul says that we need to give thanks in all circumstances, but he doesn’t say give thanks for all circumstances. We don’t thank the Lord for a tragedy, but we should be thankful to the Lord while we go through the tragedy. We don’t thank God for a terrible automobile accident where several of our family members were injured badly, but we are thankful to God that He will help us endure the crisis and see us through it.


Application

I need to look around today and be thankful for what God is doing in my “circumstances” right now!



Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to have a thankful heart. Thank you for being with us no matter what we go through. We never go through any circumstance alone; you are always with us, guiding and strengthening us.



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Eddy,

Thank You for this passage today! I really needed it!! I am attending a memorial service of an old friend who took her own life. I am still in shock and dumb founded. Feeling guilty that I didn't make more of an effort over the years to get through to her after she shut out all her friends.
Especially after joining TBC and CR. It had been so, so long that time just slipped away and so did she. I did try sending her some emails that were "Godly" emails but she never did reply back to me.

I want to say something at her service today but don't think I can. I don't think anyone would be able to understand me, as I would really loose it!

Pray for me that I come up with the right words to say no matter what God leads me to do.

I can thank God for all the Good times that we did share together as friends! And just try to remember the happy, funny times that we shared!

She did mention to another friend back in March that she was possibly going to try and go to church because she wasn't getting help anywhere else. I pray to God that she did and that she knew the Lord!! I only wish I knew then, what I know now!!!!!!!!!! I would have forced her to see me and not left until she did!!! I can't help but think that I could have shared so much with her, that maybe she would have had a different outlook, that maybe things would have been different!!

You can bet this will never, happen to me again!!!!!!!!
Beth

Beth said...

Eddy,
Well I made it through the service. Betsy, the third part of our "girls" threesome and I sat outside the room on a couch and listened to the service. We were a couple of sad, crying individuals. But we did learn that over the past year, Charlene DID attend Church and DID Know the LORD!!! Bets and I squeezed each other's hand tightly and we knew everything would be alright!

I sure hope those emails that I sent her did impact her in some way! I hope she realized that I still Loved her no Matter what!!

I did not share during the service but I did share with Betsy a couple of the "Old Times" we had together and with some of the guys at lunch....How Charlene and I first met. It wasn't funny then, but really funny now. she will truly be missed and I'm not sure she realized just how many friends she had. (The place was over flowing)!!

But I do believe she is a far better place now with OUR LORD and can finally rest in peace.

Beth

Eddy Williams said...

Beth,

Kathy and I have just returned from Savannah, Georgia where Kathy's sister Donna is still in ICU. We came home to go directly to the hospital because Kathy's Mom fell and broke her hip early this morning.

Glad you made it through the funeral service and it sounds like you did just fine. Life is tough!

Eddy