Thursday, June 29, 2006

Give me…Give me…Give me… Help me...Help me...Help me...

Amos 4-6; Psalms 86; Titus 1

Scripture

Psalms 86:11 teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.

Observation

Give me…Give me…Give me…Help me...Help me...Help me

...probably sums up most of our prayer time if we are honest! We ask God to take care of our health needs or we pray for the health of a friend or a loved one. We probably even spend more time asking God for help financially. Give me this…give me that…etc. But David’s prayer in Psalm 86 is very different than our normal “wish list” prayers. First in verse one of Psalm 86 he begins by approaching God in humility. “ Hear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.” Then David asked God to teach him so he would know how to live and then he asked God for an undivided heart.”

Application

Life is busy and complicated. We shoot up prayers to God as we rush about and most of them are filled with give me…give me…give me…and help me...help me...help me! We need to stop today and ask Him for an undivided heart. Then we can praise Him with all of our hearts!



Prayer

Heavenly Father, teach me how to live and walk in your truth. Give me an undivided heart for you!



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

Kathy and I will be on vacation beginning this weekend until next Saturday, June 8th. I am not sure if I will be close to a computer so if you don't see anything new you will know the reason. I will continue to journal everyday and I hope that you are continuing to write in your journal everyday too. If you have stopped let me encourage you to start again and strive to develop and maintain this great habit!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eddy,
Thanks for posting your journal here. It really is great encouragement to me, and reminds me to keep up with my journaling. I can't keep consistant with my blog, so there is no way I would stay consistent if I tried to do it online. The passage in Psalmsspoke to me for a number of reasons, and I think I'll write some about them later. Thanks for being a caring pastor. Have a great vacation, and catch alot of fish.
matt

Eddy Williams said...

Matt,
Writing my journal and publishing it on-line everyday helps me with my journaling. I am praying for you as you prepare for Sunday and as you prepare for Kentucky! These will be the most exciting days of your life. Not easy, but they will be exciting! I love you guys.

Eddy

luvdarodeo said...

Thanks Eddy for your blogging - it is an inspiration to me every day when I read it - so far you have wrote something I needed to hear every time!!! I appreciate that. I appreciate you being our pastor. Once Cornelius left church I was kinda lost, but I am starting to form new friendships at church and I want that to continue - I love Tampa Baptist it is my church home! It was years ago as you know when it was Spencer and God brought me back. I pray to grow in the Lord everyday and eventually I want to be a pillar of our church when I am old and gray(wait I'm already gray) I mean OLD - LOL - thanks Eddy!!! Have a great vacation! Sandra & Terry & Kennedy & Kelsey & Riley (our beautiful dog who I wish we could bring to church w/us)...:)

Eddy Williams said...

Sandra,

God must have known that I needed that word of encouragement. Thanks for taking time to write. Building relationships and growing those friendships is super important. It was tough on me too losing folks that I really cared about. I praise God that He has brought you back to Tampa Baptist. Let me encourage you and Terry to continue to work hard on developing some friendships. It will be worth it. We still have life long best friends that we made from when Kathy and I were attending Spencer Memorial (you were just a kid back then)!