Monday, June 12, 2006

The Importance of a Mentor

Journal Entry June 12, 2006
I Ki. 12; 2 Chr. 10, 11; Phil. 2

Scripture

Philip. 2:19-22 “If the Lord Jesus is willing, I hope to send Timothy to you soon. Then when he comes back, he can cheer me up by telling me how you are getting along. [20] I have no one else like Timothy, who genuinely cares about your welfare. [21] All the others care only for themselves and not for what matters to Jesus Christ. [22] But you know how Timothy has proved himself. Like a son with his father, he has helped me in preaching the Good News.” New Living Translation

Observation

Paul is writing from jail. He is writing to one of his favorite churches. He is writing them exhorting them to rejoice in the Lord. Over and over again he says, Rejoice! Evidently he still has a group of disciples with him. In verse 19 of chapter two he begins to talk about Timothy. He says of Timothy, “He is tops” (Eddy’s translation), there is nobody like him. He then talks of Timothy’s character when he says, “Timothy has a genuine interest in your welfare” and doesn’t just think about himself”

Application
Timothy’s are rare. Paul had just one Timothy. Timothy was like his mentor Paul. Paul was selfless and so was his student Timothy. I think I need to model Christ likeness and selflessness to be able to mentor someone to become “a Timothy”. I need to invest extra time in men that have a desire to grow in Christ.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me live the kind of life that results in men like Timothy. Help me to be more concerned about others than I am about myself. Help me to pray specifically for more men to disciple and mentor. Thank you for the men that I am now working with and for what you are doing in their lives.

4 comments:

Eddy Williams said...

This is my first attempt at blogging! So don't be too critical!

Eddy Williams said...

Darren,

Thanks for taking the time to write! Hope that you and family are all doing fine! I will call you later today or tomorrow. Hugs to Julie and the kids!

Eddy Williams said...

Lindsey,

I hope that you and Scott are doing well! You are missed! Glad that you took time to write!

Eddy Williams said...

Laura,

Thanks for taking time to write. Hope Jamie had a Great Birthday!