Thursday, June 22, 2006

Preparation that Counts!

II Ki. 8-9; II Chr. 21; I Tim. 4

Scripture

2 Timothy 4:8 “ For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

Observation

Paul loved the athletic games and many times used illustrations from sports to describe the Christian life. But in this passage he contrast athletic training with spiritual training and says that our striving towards godliness has eternal rewards. He doesn’t say that physical training isn’t important, but he says that it is not the main thing! In other passages Paul talks about how he disciplines himself and keeps his body under control.


Application

This life is preparation for eternity so I need to focus on stuff that really matters. Spending time in his Word, time with the Lord in prayer, taking every opportunity to share the Gospel and building relationships with folks that are unchurched these are the things that have real value! Yes, and I do need to work on keeping this body of mine in shape because it is God’s Temple!


Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me not neglect the really important things in life. Bring people into my life that need you and give me the boldness and the love to share with them the Gospel. I want to keep your Word and time with you a priority. Help me to do that. Help me to strive for godliness, but help me not to be lazy and neglect keeping my body in shape. Thank you for being so good to me. Thank you for our church. Thank you for what you are doing through the VBS workers this week.




Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: