Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Contentment in a “Have it Your Way” Kind of World!

I Ki. 15, 14; 2 Chr. 13, 14; Phil. 4

Scripture

Philip. 4:10-13 “I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”

Observation

Paul’s favorite church had once again sent financial assistance to him and he was taking the opportunity to thank them. He rejoiced at their generosity and then He quickly let them know that he had learned to be content whether he had enough food to eat or not. He was content whether he had lots of the stuff of life or he had absolutely nothing. What was his secret? It was his relationship with Christ! Because we live in a consumer mentality world (especially those of us that live in the USA) that works directly against Paul’s kind of contentment it is really important that we guard God’s Word in our heart to fight against those feelings of discontentment. Especially when our neighbor or best friend gets a new car or boat or big screen TV just like we have been wanting for years.

Application
Paul said, “I can endure all things through Christ who gives me strength”. This is a good verse to claim every time we sense a spirit of discontentment coming on. Another good verse to remember is found in Matthew 26:41"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."

Prayer
Heavenly Father, give me the contentment of the Apostle Paul. Help me be content with what I have and what I don’t have. Help me appreciate everything I have as a gift from You. I really do love my old car Lord. Please help it to stay running.

For Todays "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading Click Here




No comments: