Friday, October 17, 2008

Are You a Fair Weather Christian?

Job 1; Job 2; Acts 6; Acts 7
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Job 2

1 One day the members of the heavenly court came again to present themselves before the LORD, and the Accuser, Satan, came with them. 2 “Where have you come from?” the LORD asked Satan.
Satan answered the LORD, “I have been patrolling the earth, watching everything that’s going on.”

3 Then the LORD asked Satan, “Have you noticed my servant Job? He is the finest man in all the earth. He is blameless—a man of complete integrity. He fears God and stays away from evil. And he has maintained his integrity, even though you urged me to harm him without cause.”

4 Satan replied to the LORD, “Skin for skin! A man will give up everything he has to save his life. 5 But reach out and take away his health, and he will surely curse you to your face!”
6 “All right, do with him as you please,” the LORD said to Satan. “But spare his life.” 7 So Satan left the LORD’s presence, and he struck Job with terrible boils from head to foot.

8 Job scraped his skin with a piece of broken pottery as he sat among the ashes. 9 His wife said to him, “Are you still trying to maintain your integrity? Curse God and die.”

10 But Job replied, “You talk like a foolish woman. Should we accept only good things from the hand of God and never anything bad?” So in all this, Job said nothing wrong.

Observation

If you had a wife like Job’s then you wouldn't need any enemies, “Curse God and die” she says to Job after losing everything and then having his entire body covered in sores and boils. While scraping his skin with a piece of broken pottery I guess trying to get some relief he has his wife come over to him and ridicule him about his continued trust in God and she says to him, “Curse God and die.”

This passage reminds me of a memory verse that I learned a few weeks back, “Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." Psalm 73:25-26

Our trust in our Heavenly Father will take us through the storms of life, just like it did in the life of Job. God allowed all of those bad things to happen to Job, yet Job never lost his faith in God.

Application

My back is not getting well as quickly as I had hoped but my trust remains in the Lord, He remains the strength of my heart.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to be strong and help my faith in you not waiver. I put my total trust in You this morning to do everything for my good. You are Mighty. Whom have I in heaven but You? I desire You more than anything on earth. My health may fail, my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; He is mine forever.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

1 comment:

Rick Morgan said...

Have you heard about the CEO Christians?

They only come to church on Christmas, Easter and Other special occasions.