Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It Better Not Be Your Stuff

Genesis 34; Genesis 35; Genesis 36; Luke 14
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Luke 14

33 So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.

Observation

Houses, Cars, boats, and other toys etc need a new owner. We need to give them all away. We need to give ownership over to the Lord. He needs ownership over our time, our possessions, our money, and even over our relationships.

A huge part of discipleship is letting go of things that we think we own. We don’t really own anything God owns everything. What gets us in trouble is the ownership mentality or ownership attitude that says this is my stuff. In reality these things just become “idols” that actually control or own us. They get our time and affection. They become the focus of our attention. God is jealous and He says, “You cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.” “Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts.” 1 John 5:21

What is in your heart that is taking God’s place?

Application

Little things add up. I am going to re-evaluate and think about all the little stuff in my life and make sure that even the little stuff is not taking God’s place in my heart.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me do an inventory and give everything over to You. Show me where I am not being a good steward of the things that You have put in my care. I recognize that they are not mine and everything I have is Yours.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: