Monday, January 05, 2009

Tithing Goes All The Way Back To Abraham!

Genesis 12; Genesis 13; Genesis 14; Luke 5
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Genesis 14

Melchizedek Blesses Abram

17 After Abram returned from his victory over Kedorlaomer and all his allies, the king of Sodom went out to meet him in the valley of Shaveh (that is, the King’s Valley).
18 And Melchizedek, the king of Salem and a priest of God Most High, brought Abram some bread and wine. 19 Melchizedek blessed Abram with this blessing:
“Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
Creator of heaven and earth.
20 And blessed be God Most High,
who has defeated your enemies for you.”

Then Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of all the goods he had recovered.

Observation

Melchizedek is mentioned again in Psalm 110:4; Hebrews7:1,10,11,15,17 and the references talk about Jesus coming from the priestly line of Melchizedek. I don’t know if Abraham met Jesus that day or not, but I do know that is when tithing started in scripture. So it was started before the law was given to Moses.
When we give we are more like God because God is a generous and giving God. He blesses us with so many blessings. What is giving Him back 10% when everything that we have comes from Him?

Application

I will try to give even more this year to God’s kingdom’s work than I did last year.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for blessing so much. I am covered over in Your Blessings. You are so good to me. I do not deserve any of it. Help me trust You even more in 2009. Thank you for a New Year to live for You. Thank You for my health. Thank you for keeping my family healthy. You are a Mighty God.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: