Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sin In The Camp!

Joshua 7; Joshua 8; Psalm 69; 1 Corinthians 5
Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!



Scripture

Joshua 7

19 Then Joshua said to Achan, "My son, give glory to the LORD, the God of Israel, and give him the praise. Tell me what you have done; do not hide it from me."
20 Achan replied, "It is true! I have sinned against the LORD, the God of Israel. This is what I have done: 21 When I saw in the plunder a beautiful robe from Babylonia, two hundred shekels of silver and a wedge of gold weighing fifty shekels,] I coveted them and took them. They are hidden in the ground inside my tent, with the silver underneath."
22 So Joshua sent messengers, and they ran to the tent, and there it was, hidden in his tent, with the silver underneath. 23 They took the things from the tent, brought them to Joshua and all the Israelites and spread them out before the LORD.
24 Then Joshua, together with all Israel, took Achan son of Zerah, the silver, the robe, the gold wedge, his sons and daughters, his cattle, donkeys and sheep, his tent and all that he had, to the Valley of Achor. 25 Joshua said, "Why have you brought this trouble on us? The LORD will bring trouble on you today."
Then all Israel stoned him, and after they had stoned the rest, they burned them. 26 Over Achan they heaped up a large pile of rocks, which remains to this day. Then the LORD turned from his fierce anger. Therefore that place has been called the Valley of Achor ever since.

Observation

Sin does have consequences!

Secret sins though we think no one knows, He knows. There is no such thing as a secret sin! It is amazing the damage that our sin has on the people around us. Think about Achan and his buried treasure. He took things that were supposed to be given to the Lord and he kept them. The scripture said that he looked at them and coveted them; he took them home and buried them. Hmmm…I wonder how he was feeling with his treasure safely buried inside his tent! His sin cost the lives of his entire family, plus the deaths of all the soldiers that had died in the battle against the people of Ai.


Application

Nothing is hidden from God; we may hide things from our spouses and maybe even our families but be sure that our sin will be found out! It is best to confess our sins to the Lord right now and not let them remain unconfessed. I believe that Achan could have gotten right with the Lord before God brought judgment, but he chose not to do so. How foolish!



Prayer

Heavenly Father, examine my heart today and if there is anything that is not right I want you to reveal it to me so I can have a clean heart. Show me anything in my life that is not pleasing to you so I can change it. Thank you for your Holy Spirit that lives within me and He is constantly working in my life!



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

3 comments:

Paulette said...

Hey Eddy,
Dennis talked about this very thing Sunday, hmmmn great minds think alike.
We are getting ready for our Easter musical at First Baptist, it is hard work.
Hope your church is thriving, they are so lucky to have you as Pastor. I would love to be there with you at Tampa Baptist.
I am getting ansy for another Florida trip! The ocean is calling me...
Love ya'll.

Eddy Williams said...

Paulette,

How are ya? Did you notice that I link your blog to mine. It makes it easier for me to click over and read your blog. Hope everyone is doing well in Ft. Worth!

Love you too!

Eddy

Paulette said...

Hey Eddy,
I love it when you visit my blog.
Everyone here in Texas is great. We went to the lake for part of Spring break and had a great time.
The fishing is great, we went trolling, caught a big one too.
Mike and Carolyn came out and Shelly and Clayton and thier pastor was there camping and fishing as well.
I went to church at Kevin and Laura's Sunday, he resigned his church. they are moving to Washington State in September.Kevin leaves in June for 3 months training. They are putting thier house on the market soon.
Love you.