Sunday, January 08, 2012

Don’t Be Afraid. Just Have Faith! Do You Need Some Encouragement Today?


Genesis 20; Genesis 21; Genesis 22; Luke 8
 
Don’t Be Afraid. Just Have Faith!

Scripture

Luke 8

49 While he was still speaking to her, a messenger arrived from the home of Jairus, the leader of the synagogue. He told him, “Your daughter is dead. There’s no use troubling the Teacher now.”
 50 But when Jesus heard what had happened, he said to Jairus, “Don’t be afraid. Just have faith, and she will be healed.”

Observation

When I had my heart attack this past October my wife Kathy had no good reports for at least the first four or five days. Every report seemed to indicate that I was going to die. In fact, after the 14 hour surgery the hospital staff asked Kathy and my children to come into the room so they could see me. What they were saying without actually saying it was that your husband and your Dad is about to die so we want you to come in and see him one last time. The surgeon had just told Kathy that I had less than a 5 percent chance of surviving the trip from surgery up to the ICU floor.

Kathy shared with me a few weeks ago that it was during those first days of the bad reports that she had to release me. She had to be willing for the Lord to take me if that was His will. But at the same time, she knew deep inside not to give up, “Don’t be afraid. Just have faith, and he will be healed.” God also provided Kathy and army of people that surrounded her during those days and they prayed for God to save my life.

Faith is not faith unless it is tested. Do you really have faith? Will it stand the test? Jairus had faith to go get Jesus. His faith was then tested when he was told not to bother Jesus that his daughter was already dead. 

In Genesis chapter twenty-two in today’s Bible reading we also find someone else whose faith was tested. Abraham was one hundred years old when he finally had his son Isaac. God had kept His promise to Abraham and Sarah. Then God asked Abraham to sacrifice his one and only son to Him on top of a mountain. It was the ultimate test of faith! Abraham took his son Isaac, built an altar, and then Abraham tied up his son Isaac and placed him on the altar. He was getting ready to sacrifice his son with a knife when God called out to him and said, ““Abraham! Abraham!” “Yes,” Abraham replied. “Here I am!” 12 “Don’t lay a hand on the boy!” the angel said. “Do not hurt him in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld from me even your son, your only son.”

Do you have faith? … It will be tested. 

Are you being tested today? God wants to you to have faith. The situation may seem totally impossible. God says, “Don’t be afraid. Just have faith.”

Application

I will not be afraid. I will have faith. How about you?  

Prayer

Heavenly Father, the Christian life is all about faith. In fact, it is impossible to please You without it. Increase my faith. Help me not to doubt You. Help me trust in all of Your promises. You always keep Your Word. Thank You for giving me a wife who has tremendous faith in You. Thank You for all the people that prayed for me and never gave up. I am overwhelmed even today when I think about how they prayed for me. I know that 2012 is going to be a tremendous year to serve You. Thank You for healing me. Thank You for helping me to get better every day. No one compares to You.

No comments: