Thursday, January 12, 2012

I Tell You, Do Not Worry!

Genesis 29; Genesis 30; Luke 12

I Tell You, Do Not Worry!

Scripture

Luke 12

 22 Then Jesus spoke to his disciples. He said, "I tell you, do not worry. Don't worry about your life and what you will eat. And don't worry about your body and what you will wear.  

23 There is more to life than eating. There are more important things for the body than clothes.

25 "Can you add even one hour to your life by worrying? 26 You can't do that very little thing. So why worry about the rest?

28 If that is how God dresses the wild grass, how much better will he dress you! After all, the grass is here only today. Tomorrow it is thrown into the fire. Your faith is so small!

31 "But put God's kingdom first. Then those other things will also be given to you. 

 32 "Little flock, do not be afraid. Your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 

33 Sell what you own. Give to those who are poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out. Put away riches in heaven that will not be used up. There, no thief can come near it. There, no moth can destroy it. 

34 Your heart will be where your riches are. 

Observation

Worry…Worry…Worry… Jesus tells us not to worry! Does worrying add one hour to your life? Jesus says that if by worrying you can’t even add a single hour to your life then why worry about anything!

In the Old Testament it was assumed that if you were rich that you some how were blessed by God. In the New Testament we see that accumulation of stuff here on earth is not a real smart idea. Jesus says the better idea is to send your riches on ahead of you to Heaven. 

Why…because your heart will be where your riches are. He uses the story of the Rich Fool to show how foolish worrying about storing up riches here on earth really is. Just in case you didn’t read it I am going to cut and paste those verses right here so you have the chance to see how foolish this man was!

Luke 12

 16 Then Jesus told them a story. He said, "A certain rich man's land produced a good crop. 17 He thought to himself, 'What should I do? I don't have any place to store my crops.' 

 18 "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my storerooms and build bigger ones. I will store all my grain and my other things in them. 19 I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things stored away for many years. Take life easy. Eat, drink and have a good time." ' 

 20 "But God said to him, 'You foolish man! This very night I will take your life away from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?' 

 21 "That is how it will be for anyone who stores things away for himself but is not rich in God's eyes." 

Application

I will not worry about my life. This year I will seek to put the Kingdom of God first in my life. How about you?  

Prayer

Heavenly Father, it is so easy for me to worry about bills and about our future, but You tell us over and over again not to worry. You say don’t worry about anything but we should pray about everything and your peace will keep our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Worry is the absence of faith. Help me be a man of great faith. Help me send our riches on ahead to Heaven. Don’t ever let us store our riches down here on earth. I want to be rich in Your eyes.

No comments: