Monday, January 09, 2012

Don’t Take A Pat On The Back Unless It Is Way Down Low!


Genesis 23; Genesis 24; Luke 9

Don’t Take A Pat On The Back Unless It Is Way Down Low … One of Dr. Waylon Moore’s Important Lessons to Me on “Humility”

Scripture

Luke 9

46 Then his disciples began arguing about which of them was the greatest. 47 But Jesus knew their thoughts, so he brought a little child to his side. 48 Then he said to them, “Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me also welcomes my Father who sent me. Whoever is the least among you is the greatest.”

Observation

Peter, James and John got to go with Jesus to the Mount of Transfiguration and they actually saw Elijah and Moses. They saw Jesus in all His Glory and the scripture says that Moses and Elijah were glorious to see! It was an awesome experience! Did the experience cause some of the disciples to think that they were more important than the others? I don’t know if it was that or not but sometimes when God does a mighty work in our lives we can be led to think that we are more important than those around us.

I look forward to going to our leadership meeting this afternoon at noon. I have not actively been serving our church since I had my heart attack on October 24th. I am more than ready to start helping out again! God has brought together a great team at Christ Fellowship. God is doing some amazing things in our midst. Everybody on our leadership team is equally important. There is no one that is more important than the other. When one person does their job well it affects the life of our entire church.

Pastor Bruce is the Senior Pastor who leads our team, but he is not more important than the person responsible for our “First Impressions Ministry” which includes our food ministry, inside greeters, those that help greet in the parking lot, and those that usher inside the auditorium. He is not more important than those responsible for our preschool and children’s ministries. Remember… If any of these ministries are neglected and don’t go well then Pastor Bruce will not have anyone to preach to.

“But Jesus knew their thoughts, so he brought a little child to his side. Then he said to them, “Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me also welcomes my Father who sent me. Whoever is the least among you is the greatest.”

Humility…it was a problem for the disciples and it can also be a problem for us.

Pastor Bruce gave a tremendous illustration yesterday in his message that should challenge all of us who are seeking to serve the Lord. He shared that a very well known Christian leader was talking to him at a conference as they were both heading to the restroom. As they were washing their hands and getting ready to leave the restroom this famous Christian leader told Bruce, “I will be out in a minute I need to do someone first.” This leader got down on his hands and knees and began to clean the paper towels and trash that others had thrown on the floor. Bruce couldn’t believe it. Here a man of his stature, someone so important, humbles himself to clean a restroom. Pastor Bruce said that it was something that he would never forget. What a lesson in humility!

Are you willing to serve? You can’t be worried about how gets the credit? I challenge you to volunteer to serve somewhere in your church. Make a 30-day commitment and try it out! After the 30 days you discover it’s not for you then make a 30-day commitment to serve somewhere else. Pastor Bruce said yesterday, You serve God by serving others.”
Application

I will serve the Lord and not worry about who gets the credit. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, it is easy to think that we are more important than we really are. I am glad that You have a way of humbling us to keep us on the right track. I pray for our leadership team today. As I think about them and I think about how You have used them it brings me tremendous joy. Help us stay out of Your way as You grow our church. I pray for Pastor Bruce that You give him tremendous wisdom as he leads us. You are a Mighty God.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: