Monday, January 02, 2012

Opposition Shouldn’t Surprise Us!

Genesis 3; Genesis 4; Genesis 5; Luke 2

Opposition Shouldn’t Surprise Us!

Scripture

Luke 2

33 Jesus’ parents were amazed at what was being said about him. 34 Then Simeon blessed them, and he said to Mary, the baby’s mother, “This child is destined to cause many in Israel to fall, but he will be a joy to many others. He has been sent as a sign from God, but many will oppose him. 35 As a result, the deepest thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your very soul.”

Matthew 10

33 But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.

 34 “Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.

 35 ‘I have come to set a man against his father,
      a daughter against her mother,
   and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
      36 Your enemies will be right in your own household!’

 37 “If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. 38 If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine.

Observation

I hear Christians all the time in our country complaining that the Federal government or our public school systems, or even our local governments don’t allow Christians to do this or that. I agree that it is very aggravating that we are persecuted in the land of the “free” but it shouldn’t come as a surprise to us.  Every time I hear that a school board will not let Christians do this or a local government won’t let Christians do that I think of what Jesus said in Matthew 10. And Simeon in Luke 2 said the same thing as he prophesied about the Christ child. “This child is destined to cause many in Israel to fall, but he will be a joy to many others. He has been sent as a sign from God, but many will oppose him. 35 As a result, the deepest thoughts of many hearts will be revealed.”

When we share Christ in other countries we expect to experience opposition. We don’t expect equal treatment from anyone just because we are Christians.  It should not surprise us then when we encounter opposition here in the USA either. I believe that in the future our country will become more and more hostile to the message of Christ. Persecution will only increase for all of us that call ourselves Christ followers. Opposition should only encourage us more to live out our faith and boldly witness to everyone that we can while we can.

Don’t get me wrong it is perfectly OK to fight local governments and the local school boards to put Christ back in our schools etc. If that is something that God has called you to do then knock yourself out, I am just saying lets put the same amount of effort and sacrifice into sharing our faith with the community around us.

Jesus, Jesus, there is just something about that Name!


Application

I will share my faith this year with everyone I can. How about you?  

Prayer

Heavenly Father, opposition shouldn’t surprise us since it was opposition that nailed Your Son to the cross. Help us to share our faith with more people this year. Give us boldness. Give us the ability to share our faith clearly so people can understand and accept the Jesus that we proclaim. As we go to other countries even the most difficult countries we know that You have prepared people already in those countries to accept the Gospel message all we have to do is share the Gospel enough to be able to find them.

No comments: