Sunday, February 01, 2009

Praying For Stiff-Necked People

Exodus 30; Exodus 31; Exodus 32; Acts 8
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Exodus 32

7 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, 'These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.'

9 "I have seen these people," the LORD said to Moses, "and they are a stiff-necked people. 10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation."

11 But Moses sought the favor of the LORD his God. "O LORD," he said, "why should your anger burn against your people, whom you brought out of Egypt with great power and a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians say, 'It was with evil intent that he brought them out, to kill them in the mountains and to wipe them off the face of the earth'? Turn from your fierce anger; relent and do not bring disaster on your people.

13 Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, to whom you swore by your own self: 'I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and I will give your descendants all this land I promised them, and it will be their inheritance forever.' " 14 Then the LORD relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.

Observation

How important is it for us to pray for other people? How important is it for us to intercede on their behalf? God listens to our prayers. He wants us to pray so He can act. As I prayed during the night I was impressed to pray for a lot of people and I believe that interceding on their behalf is my biggest responsibility. I don’t do it enough.

Application

I will intercede more for those that are being pulled back into this evil and destructive world and for those that are actively serving the Lord.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me stand in the gap and pray for people like Moses did. I am amazed that he stood face to face with You and stood up for those rebellious people. They sure deserved to be destroyed and I realize that so do I. I don’t deserve Your favor but You give it to me anyway. You are a God of Grace and Mercy. None of us deserve the love and favor that you pour out on us. I am blessed. I pray today for our people. I pray that today would be a day of true worship. I pray that Your Holy Spirit would fall on us today and the worship services would be full of Your Presence and Your Power!

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: