Wednesday, February 25, 2009

“Why are you afraid?”

Numbers 17; Numbers 18; Psalm 29; Mark 4
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Mark 4

35 As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.” 36 So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). 37 But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water.

38 Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?”
39 When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. 40 Then he asked them, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?”

Observation

Fear versus Faith

I was awake early this morning just like almost every morning and just like every morning I began to think about all the things that are happening in my life and that are happening in the lives of those that I love. I wish that I could tell you that every morning as I lie in bed thinking about all this stuff that I did it without moments of fear and worry. Sorry…I am a work in progress…I am not there yet.

A lot of our men went this past weekend to a Men’s conference and we had the opportunity to sit under the teaching of Steve Farrar. He said something that I think is huge at least it is huge for me. He said that we need to talk to ourselves but we need to quit listening to ourselves. He explained that when we listen to ourselves that is when we go over and over in our minds scenarios that might happen, we take those worries or thoughts and we keep making them bigger and bigger until they completely dominate our thoughts and we are caught living in fear and caught living lives void of faith. Steve said that we should talk to ourselves and speak to ourselves the word of God so we would be men of faith.

I know for me that the Devil loves to whisper lies during the early morning when I wake up. The thoughts, the worries, the fears sure are not coming from my Heavenly Father.

The disciples were so afraid and do you know that none of the fear that they experienced was necessary … because they had Jesus in their boat. Water was coming over the sides of the boat; the boat was filling up with water yet Jesus was sleeping through it all. When they woke him up He rebuked the waves and the wind and then He rebuked his disciples.

Jesus is Lord of my life. He is more than in my boat He is on the throne of my life. No storm should shake me up. No worry, no crisis, no problem, that the Devil throws at me is too big for my Savior. That’s why they call Him Savior!

Application

I will please the Lord today by trusting Him with all the storms that surround me. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, Your word says that it is impossible to please You without faith. It is my desire today to please You. Help me have the necessary faith to trust You right now. By faith I trust You to work miracles in my life just like you did in the lives of your disciples in that boat. You are the calmer of storms. You are the Prince of Peace. Today I want to experience Your Peace in the midst of the rough water! Help me not to worry. Help me not to fear. Help me to be completely dependent on You. You are my Savior, my Rock, and my Protector. Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: