Monday, February 16, 2009

Don’t Mess With God’s Anointed

Leviticus 26; Leviticus 27; Acts 23
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Acts 23

1 Gazing intently at the high council, Paul began: “Brothers, I have always lived before God with a clear conscience!”
2 Instantly Ananias the high priest commanded those close to Paul to slap him on the mouth. 3 But Paul said to him, “God will slap you, you corrupt hypocrite! What kind of judge are you to break the law yourself by ordering me struck like that?”
4 Those standing near Paul said to him, “Do you dare to insult God’s high priest?”
5 “I’m sorry, brothers. I didn’t realize he was the high priest,” Paul replied, “for the Scriptures say, ‘You must not speak evil of any of your rulers.’”

"Do not blaspheme God or curse anyone who rules over you. Exodus 22:28

Observation

Paul really knew the scriptures! It is amazing that he knew Exodus 22:28 and it came to his mind just as soon as he found out that the one that he had called a corrupt hypocrite was the high priest. He apologized and he went straight to God’s word to show that he knew he was wrong. What humility - especially after being struck in the face for doing nothing wrong.

It reminds me of King David when he was in the cave and he had the chance to kill King Saul, but he wouldn’t do it because Saul was God’s anointed. Saul was evil. He was trying to find David to kill him and yet when David had the chance (twice) he refused to kill his enemy because God had established Saul as king.

In both of these instances Paul and David were going by God’s principles that God had established in His word. Don’t mess with God’s anointed – period. God will discipline those He has placed in spiritual authority. Trust me God has dealt with Ananias and King Saul and I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes. They had the opportunity to bring God glory and receive His blessings, but they instead will receive His fury and His punishment.

Application

I will not speak evil of other pastors or leaders that God has placed in authority.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to be concerned about the beam in my eye and not worry about the speck in my brother’s eye. I realize that when I hear of a pastor falling into sin that the same thing could happen to me if I don’t guard my heart. Keep me focused on the ministry that you have called me to and don’t let me become a critic of others. Thank you for surrounding me with such great people. Thank you for what You are doing in the lives of the people in our church. You are worthy of Praise!

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: