Friday, February 27, 2009

The Need For Quiet Place!

Numbers 21; Numbers 22; Numbers 23; Mark 6; Mark 7
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Mark 6

30 The apostles returned to Jesus from their ministry tour and told him all they had done and taught. 31 Then Jesus said, “Let’s go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile.” He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn’t even have time to eat.

32 So they left by boat for a quiet place, where they could be alone. 33 But many people recognized them and saw them leaving, and people from many towns ran ahead along the shore and got there ahead of them. 34 Jesus saw the huge crowd as he stepped from the boat, and he had compassion on them because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things.

46 After telling everyone good-bye, he went up into the hills by himself to pray.

47 Late that night, the disciples were in their boat in the middle of the lake, and Jesus was alone on land. 48 He saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. He intended to go past them, 49 but when they saw him walking on the water, they cried out in terror, thinking he was a ghost. 50 They were all terrified when they saw him.

But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage! I am here!” 51 Then he climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. They were totally amazed, 52 for they still didn’t understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in.

Observation

Jesus told his disciples that they needed to find a “quiet place.” The busyness of life will suck the life out of you unless you have a “quiet place” to get alone with God. I am sitting in my “quiet place” right now. I am in my little office/front bedroom of our home. No one else is up. It is dark outside. It is my “quiet place”.

Every morning I sit down with a cup of coffee in my “quiet place” and I read God’s word and I let God speak to my heart. When I am lying down at night my bed is also my “quiet place” and when God wakes me up I talk to him. It is quiet, no one else is up, and it is my second “quiet place.”

Your quiet place can be anywhere. I remember when my quiet place used to be in my car when I worked construction work years ago. It has been in many different places, in even several different countries, but I have to have a “quiet place”. Where is your “quiet place”?

Why not take time to decide on one today? Take your Bible, an ink pen, and some paper and place it right there ready for you to meet God. I have all of that right on my computer so I just crank up my computer, get my cup of coffee, sit down, make about 2 mouse clicks and I am feeding on the Word of God. Nobody around, no noises, except for maybe a bird or two singing outside … it is quiet … just my God and me. It is awesome!

One last thing … having a “quiet place” prepares you and me for the storms of life. Storms, problems, and struggles are all part of life. They should drive us to take refuge in that “quiet place”. But sometimes instead of seeking God we stay out there in the storm struggling on our own letting life take us under. God will meet us today if we will just find a “quiet place” to talk to Him.

Application

I am enjoying my time in my “quiet place” this morning. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank you for meeting me this morning in my favorite “quiet place”. Thank you for answering my prayers. You are an awesome God. There is nothing too hard for you. Bless our church. Bless our staff. Give my staff the desires of their hearts, answer their prayers, and make their plans successful. Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: