Friday, November 02, 2007

What is Going On At His House?

Job 23; Job 24; Mark 11; Mark 12
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Jesus Clears the Temple

Mark 11

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard him say it.
15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, "Is it not written:
" 'My house will be called
a house of prayer for all nations’ But you have made it 'a den of robbers.'"
18 The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.
19 When evening came, they went out of the city.
The Withered Fig Tree
20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!"
22 "Have faith in God," Jesus answered. 23 "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

Observation

I guess I was impressed to write about this passage this morning because I am preaching a sermon this Sunday about “What you eat and what is eating you”. We are doing a sermon series of sermons dealing with Breaking Free of our hurts, hang-ups, and habits. It is interesting that we don’t hear very many sermons address the issue of food abuse these days. I know why; it is because many pastors don’t have victory in this area so they let it alone. It has been a struggle for me all of my married life and I desperately want to have victory and self control and keep my body in good shape. I am tired of diets. I am tired of gaining and losing thousands of pounds only to gain it all over again.

Maybe you are in the same boat. If you want to lose it for life like I do you might want to read some stuff on Steve Arterburn's web site. The articles can be downloaded free. I want to lose it for life, not for a few months or even a year...a life.


You might be wondering how does what I just said relate to this passage? Good question and I will be glad to try to explain. You know that our bodies are now the Temple of God, I Cor. 6:19, 2 Cor. 6:16. Jesus cleaned out the temple because it was being misused. It was being abused. It had a purpose, “'My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’ But you have made it 'a den of robbers.” My body is the temple of God”. It has a divine purpose.

Application

I will treasure the words of his mouth more than my daily bread. Job 23:12b

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to never change the way I feel about keeping my eating under control. May I desire the words of your mouth more than my necessary food. Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: