Sunday, December 04, 2011

Best Wife In The World

Ephesians 5; Ephesians 6; Psalm 119:1-80

 

Best Wife In The World

 

Scripture

 

Ephesians 5

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body.
33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. 
Observation

I, Kathy, take you Eddy, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.

Kathy and I were 18 years old when we said those vows together and that was over 42 years ago. In fact, most of you know that Kathy celebrated our anniversary out in the waiting room while I was in Intensive care. Someone brought her a cake someone else brought her favorite food “tacos” and the group all celebrated.  At 18 years old I don’t think we totally understood the significance of the vows we made to each other, but we sure do today.

We have had a great marriage and we have been through the “for better or for worse and the for richer, for poorer part, but we never really had to deal with something like this. Sticking with me through the “in sickness” part of the vow is where we are at right now. And it is very tough on Kathy!
                       
I have taken Kathy all over the world to serve as missionaries. Not really all over the world but we have served in Mexico, Spain, Morocco, and Cuba. Our five children grew up in Mexico and Spain and the move to Spain was very costly on our children. Kathy was always willing to go where ever I sensed God leading us and once we moved to that country or place she anchored our family down and she was the one that kept us serving where God had called us. 

I have watched her love our children and be so patient with them at times when I couldn’t express love to them and when I had completely lost my patience. Being completely frustrated at times with my children as they acted out during their teenage years I would watch Kathy hang in there with them and show love to them no matter what kind of trouble they had gotten themselves into. I admire her and I am so glad that she was their mother during those times.

I wish I could laugh like Kathy does. I hear her on the phone laughing or when she is talking to a friend and her laughter makes me chuckle, it lifts my spirit and makes me say to myself, “I wish I could laugh like that.”

I see marriages breaking up everyday and the reasons seem so trivial. People break up over money. Kathy and I know what it is like to have absolutely no food in the house and wonder how we are going to feed our children. I see marriages break up because of unfaithfulness. Kathy and I have set boundaries for our lives when it comes to the opposite sex because we know that we are human and Satan would love to destroy our marriage through a relationship outside of our marriage.

The Lord Jesus Christ is the number one love of my life. Kathy knows that she comes right after God in my life. She is my very best friend. She will receive for sure more crowns in Heaven than I will.

Application

I will strive to love Kathy as Christ loves the church.  
Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for the best wife in the world. No woman on this planet compares to her. You brought her into my life so I could have a relationship with you. It was because of meeting her that I had the chance to fall in love with You. She is the best gift I have ever received in my life. There is no one more precious to me than she is. Give her strength. Give her an extra dose of patience. Help her to always laugh and always smile. Continue to use her in the lives of the people around us. Help her mentor younger wives that are struggling with issues in their marriages. Bless her. I also pray for Pastor Bruce as he preaches today that You use the message to change the lives of all of those that are listening. Thank You for Kathy. Thank for my children and my grand children. You are worthy of Praise!

2 comments:

Debi said...

Amen, brother Eddy! I totally agree with you, you have a Proverbs wife. Thank you for rising up and blessing her!
She is a faithful friend too!
Love you both!

Debi said...

Thank you for the encouraging & true words, Eddy. We value your perspective!
God continue to strengthen and heal you!