Thursday, December 22, 2011

DoYou Believe This?


John 12; John 13; John 14

Do You Believe This?

Scripture

John 14

12 “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. 14 Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!

Observation

Jesus wants to be sure that you and I understand that what He is getting ready to say in John 14:12-13 is the truth. So He prefaces what He is getting ready to say with, “I tell you the truth.” Now what He says next is not really believed by us or at least we don’t put what He says into practice very often.

I believe that verses 12 –14 of John 14 are just as much for us today as they were for His disciples back when they walked with Him.

So lets look at what He says next; “anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works.” So lets get personal. The phrase “anyone who believes in me” is talking about you and is talking about me if we are believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus says that you and I will not only be able to do the same works that Jesus did but you and I will be able to do even greater works.

So why aren’t we applying this verse? Do you think that Jesus is a liar? Do you think Jesus wasn’t telling the truth? What if we really believed that what Jesus said was the truth? What if we acted on these verses and trusted God to do mighty works through us?

Here is the key, it is found in verse 13, “You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.” When we pray we can ask anything in Jesus name and He will do it if it brings glory to the Father.

As I pray and intercede for people I always try to ask that God would get he glory and honor from answering my request. God wants to answer our prayers. He wants us to do mighty works on this earth, but He wants to receive the glory. He wants to receive the credit!

So do you believe that you can do the works that Jesus did while He was on this earth and even do greater works than Christ did? Jesus says that we can. What keeps us from seeing this happen in our lives? Could it be Unbelief? Could it be a lack of faith? What else could it be?

In John 16:23-24 Jesus tells his disciples that after the Holy Spirit has come and after the Holy Spirit lives in them that they can directly to the Father and ask Him because they use Jesus’ name. We have the Holy Spirit living in us today. We can go directly to our Heavenly Father and He will grant us our requests because we ask in the Name of Jesus.

John 16:23-24
 23 At that time you won’t need to ask me for anything. I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you use my name. 24 You haven’t done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.

Application

I believe what Jesus says in John 14:12-14 and so I will pray asking God to do great things for the people that He brings into my life so that He can receive Glory and Honor.
  
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me believe what You have said to me this morning in John 14:12-14. Give me the boldness to come directly to Your throne and ask of You big things. I pray that I would have the faith to ask You to do the miraculous in the lives of the people around me. Do it all for Your glory and Your honor. Thank You Jesus for giving us access to the Father through Your death on the cross. Help our church believe You for big things. I pray that Your Holy Spirit would move the core of our church to do great and mighty things in 2012. 

No comments: