Thursday, December 08, 2011

The Most Important Time of Your Day!


1 Timothy 1; 1 Timothy 2; 1 Timothy 3; 1 Timothy 4

The Most Important Time of Your Day!

Scripture

Timothy 4

8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Observation

I went to my heart doctor on Tuesday and got a very good report. He says that I need to walk and walk and walk. So yesterday Kathy took me to Walmart and I walked and I walked and I walked. I was completely exhausted when I got home and went to bed a little after 9 pm. I woke up like I do just about every morning at around 4:30 and I got out of bed at 5 to come into the living room to read my Bible.

As important as exercise is for me to get better, taking time alone with God is so much more important. These days I look forward to getting up and spending time with the Lord. I have so much to talk to Him about. He has done so much for me. He has poured out His love and His mercy on me. He has taught me so much over these past 6 weeks.

You have a lot busier schedule than I do right now, but I hope that you carve out the first few minutes of your day to spend time alone with the Lord. Let me suggest that you do the following things so you are able to have a successful quiet time: 1. Find a special place to have your devotional time each day. Leave your Bible or your devotional book right there in that special place everyday ready to be read. I suggest that you have a notebook and ink pen in this special place. I personally have learned that I remember more of what I have read if I take time to write something done each day about what God has revealed to me in His Word. Don’t be legalistic about this time alone with God. Sometimes you may spend 5 or 10 minutes and other times you may spend longer. On some days you may only read one or two verses and meditate on those verses all the way to work. Sit down at special place with a cup of coffee, hot chocolate or a soda and enjoy yourself as you spend time with the Lord.

At this moment I am in the living room and no one else is up. When I got up at 5 I made some hot chocolate and I turned the lights on the Christmas tree and I have enjoyed my time in God’s word. God delights in us. He wants us to spend time with Him. This is not going to happen unless you make a commitment to the Lord to spend time with Him everyday. It will be more difficult to successfully keep that commitment if you don’t set aside a special place where you are going to meet Him everyday.

Application

I will meet Jesus every morning in our living room and I will continue to encourage others to develop the habit of having a daily quiet time.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I pray for those that might read this blog this morning that it might help them get back to having a devotional time with You if they have been neglecting it. I pray for some that might read this that maybe have never developed a consistent devotional time that it would encourage them to start today. I know that I must exercise a lot to get better, but I also know that if I hadn’t of been close to You when this heart attack happened and if I hadn’t of spent a lot of time with You I don’t think I could have gotten through this. You know that I don’t handle everything very well now, but without You being my strength I don’t know how I could have survived these past 6 weeks. I pray that Your word would be so powerful in the lives of everyone reading this. Show them that time alone with You every day is the most important thing that they can do. Be glorified in us today. I pray for Pastor Bruce and Heather today that you give them the desires of their hearts, that you answer their prayers, and that you make their plans successful. I pray that you heal their daughter Gwen completely of the allergies that she has so she can eat and enjoy food like the rest of us.
 

No comments: