Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego

“But even if he does not, we want you to know…”

Daniel 3; Daniel 4; Psalm 81; Revelation 17

Scripture

Daniel 3:16 “Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

Observation

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego getting thrown into the fiery furnace is one of my favorite stories in scripture. Daniel getting thrown into the lions’ den is also one of my all time favorites. It is the tremendous faith of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego that grabs my attention. King if you throw us into the blazing furnace our God is able to save us, but if he doesn’t we still will not bow down to your image or serve your gods. And of course that response was sure to get them thrown into the furnace. The neatest part of the story was when the king looked into the fiery furnace and saw four men walking around. I believe that Jesus Christ was walking around in the furnace with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego!


Application

I will serve the Lord no matter what. Will I only have faith to trust him when things are going good or will I have the faith to trust him even when things are scorching hot?


Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank you for the stories of faith that you give us in your Word. Give me the faith of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. Help me trust you even when I am being tested. Help me to trust you when I am in the fire. I know that you will be there with me.



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: