Monday, June 04, 2007

Women in Leadership!

Proverbs 28; Proverbs 29; Psalm 60; Romans 16
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Romans 16

Personal Greetings

1 I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church in Cenchrea. 2 I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been a great help to many people, including me. 3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus. 4 They risked their lives for me. Not only I but all the churches of the Gentiles are grateful to them. 5 Greet also the church that meets at their house. Greet my dear friend Epenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in the province of Asia. 6 Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you. 7 Greet Andronicus and Junias, my relatives who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was. 8 Greet Ampliatus, whom I love in the Lord. 9 Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and my dear friend Stachys. 10 Greet Apelles, tested and approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the household of Aristobulus. 11 Greet Herodion, my relative. Greet those in the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord. 12 Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, those women who work hard in the Lord. Greet my dear friend Persis, another woman who has worked very hard in the Lord. 13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother, who has been a mother to me, too. 14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas and the brothers with them. 15 Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas and all the saints with them. 16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ send greetings.


Observation

Sometimes we tend to think that in the early church that women did not play an important part, but if you count the women mentioned by Paul in this chapter you can see how important they were to him. I believe that women can serve just as well as men and are essential for a healthy church. Men should not be passive and let women serve in their place, but women have their places to serve in the church. The body of Christ needs women serving in leadership positions. I think it is worth noting that when Priscilla and Aquila are mentioned it is not Aquila and Priscilla, but rather Priscilla and Aquila! I wonder who was the stronger leader in that household? We really don’t know, but at Paul was not afraid to mention her first and her husband second! I personally believe that it should be a man that serves as senior pastor of the local church, but under his umbrella of leadership women can serve where God places them.

Application

As we look for leadership in our churches let’s not rule out someone just because she is a woman.


Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank you for the women in our church that serve faithfully. Help our men as they also lead us and I pray that you give them boldness and courage. Thank you for the men that you have brought into my life as my friends and my mentors. I want to thank you for all the new people that you are bringing to our church. I pray that we will be able to help them grow in you.



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Great words on women in leadership, Pastor Eddie. And you know, "Junias" might also need to be highlighted in red as a woman, as the original Greek, I'm pretty sure, actually read "Junia," which is a female name. Anyway, great words.