Sunday, June 24, 2007

Ever Seen a Hurst Pulling a U-Haul?

2 Kings 11; 2 Kings 12; 2 Chronicles 24; 1 Timothy 6
Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!


Scripture

Love of Money

1 Timothy 6


3 If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.


Observation

Have you seen Scott Harding's shirt that says, "He, who dies with the most toys, still dies"! How true! You will never see a Hurst pulling a U-Haul trailer. You are not taking it with you, but we seem to think that we can. Now it is true that you can’t take riches with you but can send them on up ahead of you! We live in a country that is so rich that we tend to forget that “stuff” is not the most important thing in this life. People and relationships are the two important things in this life! Keeping this is our top priority requires a lot of work!


Application

Who needs our time today?


Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to be content with what you have blessed me with and not look at the things that others have and desire their stuff. Show me what relationship needs my attention today and help me to take time with the people that need it the most. You are so wonderful. You are an awesome God. Thank you for giving me so much. I am so blessed.



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Eddy - That is so true that we think we can take things with us. The media and the world around us fills our heads with wanting more and more, it's so hard to raise kids to be happy and content with what they have b/c they see everyone around them with "more" than them. I always try to remind my kids to look at the kids that don't have mothers or fathers or grandparents or God in their life and how sad that is. I try to remind them how lucky they are to have not only wonderful grandparents but great-grandparents in their lives they are very blessed. And they have a mom and dad who love them and love eachother and most importantly all these people in their lifes love the Lord! God is good and I'm thankful for what I have and I pray that He will help me not to be greedy and to remember that I am blessed and to remember to spend more time w/the people here that I love and to nuture those relationships he's given me b/c you never know when those will be gone. I'd like to take a moment to say that I pray for the family of Jessie Davis whose young life was taken for no reason and whose baby never saw the light of day but she is in heaven today w/her mother and her heavenly Father and I pray for that family and I thank God that they were Christians - otherwise I don't know how they would manage. It breaks my heart and I don't even know these people! Thanks for the blogs! Thanks for being a great man and pastor - we definetely thank God for you everyday!

Eddy Williams said...

Sandra,

Teaching our kids to be content with what they have is very difficult especially living in the USA. But you can do it. Modeling it is the best way to teach things to our kids.

They pick up things from us as well as those around them.

I missed you guys yesterday. Of course, I am blind and I may have just not seen you.

Love,

Eddy