Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Holding a Grudge Will Cost You

Numbers 34; Numbers 35; Numbers 36; Mark 11
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Mark 11

22 Then Jesus said to the disciples, “Have faith in God. 23 I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, ‘May you be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart. 24 I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours. 25 But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too.”

Observation

The disciples are amazed that a fig tree that Jesus had cursed the day before had withered from one day to the next. Jesus response to their amazement was a lesson on prayer. This is huge promise, but it is a promise with a condition, “I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours. But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too.” The promise is that we can ask anything in prayer and if we believe that we have received it then it will be ours, if we are not holding a grudge in our heart towards someone.

Right relationships here on earth is the key to answered prayer.

If you prayers aren’t making it beyond the ceiling then you might want to do an evaluation. Are you harboring ill feelings against someone? Who needs your forgiveness? Did you catch what Jesus says in verse 25, “But when you are praying, first forgive…” I believe what Jesus is saying is that when we are praying we need to let God know that we have been holding a grudge against someone and then we need to forgive that person … we have to let it go and give that hurt over to the Lord.


“Love … keeps no record of when it has been wronged.” 1 Cor. 13:5

“If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened;” Psalm 66:18

“Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.”1 Peter 3:7

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me?” Up to seven times?" Matthew 18:21
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” Luke 6:37

“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” Col. 3:13

Application

I will ask the Lord to show me if I am holding a grudge against anyone.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I want to have mountain moving faith and I know that I can’t experience that kind of answered prayer if I don’t forgive people. Show me who needs my forgiveness. Show me anyone that I need to go to and ask for his or her forgiveness. I pray that you would not let me hurt people or hurt myself by holding on to a grudge.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. Psalm 139:23-24

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: