Saturday, June 13, 2009

I Want to Know Christ!

1 Kings 13; 1 Kings 14; 2 Chronicles 12; Philippians 3
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Philippians 3

10 I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, 11 so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!

Observation

Have you thought very much about what Paul is saying in verses 10 and 11 of this chapter? The first part of verse 10 I think I understand, but the last part of verse 10 and verse 11 are very difficult for me to grasp.

We tend to think of suffering as punishment and not part of the Christian faith but Paul had a completely different view of suffering. He welcomed it. And he suffered a lot for Christ.

Are we willing to suffer for Christ? Are we willing to die for Him? Would you go to the Sudan and serve Christ there? Would you go to the Congo, Uganda, India or somewhere else in this world where the message of Christ needs to be heard no matter what the cost? Why not? Would you still go with the knowledge that you might suffer and die for Him?

We tend to do what is most comfortable, the most convenient, the least costly to our families, and least costly to ourselves personally, but is that what God has asked us to do or is asking us to do.

Paul said to those at the church at Philippi, “Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example.” Can people pattern their lives after ours? What are you not willing to do for Christ? What am I not willing to do for Him?

Application

I want to be able to say this and mean it just like Paul said it and meant it, “I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death.”

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I feel like such a spiritual wimp when I read what Paul writes, but You know that it is my desire to be like him. I want to have faith like Paul’s and I want to be committed to You like Paul was committed to You. I want my life to count for You. I don’t want to be comfortable in my Christian life. Help me to live my life in such a way that others can pattern their lives after mine.

I pray for my son Eddie Jr today that you bless him today on his birthday. May he bring You glory and honor with his life.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: