Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Thank God We Don't Get What We Deserve!

Jeremiah 23; Jeremiah 24; Jeremiah 25; John 19
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


You and I Deserve Death On A Cross!

Scripture

Jesus Sentenced to Death

1 Then Pilate had Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip. 2 The soldiers wove a crown of thorns and put it on his head, and they put a purple robe on him. 3 “Hail! King of the Jews!” they mocked, as they slapped him across the face.

4 Pilate went outside again and said to the people, “I am going to bring him out to you now, but understand clearly that I find him not guilty.” 5 Then Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. And Pilate said, “Look, here is the man!”

6 When they saw him, the leading priests and Temple guards began shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!”

Observation

He took the punishment that we deserve. He was whipped with a lead-tipped whip. He was slapped and mocked. He was stripped. He was crucified in your place and in my place. What we read this morning about what Jesus endured is what we deserve to receive for the sins that we have committed.

He took my place. He took your place. You deserve the cross. I do too.
He could have called ten thousand angels to rescue Him but He would not because of His love for me and His love for you.

Application

I will thank Him today for dying in my place. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, as I read this passage this morning the lead-tipped whip seems to jump out at me first. How it must have ripped Your flesh and how it must have hurt with every lash. You did it for me. Thank You for dying in my place and for taking the penalty of my sin and paying for it on the cross. I don’t deserve it. You didn’t deserve to die. I deserve to spend eternity in a place called Hell, but I won’t have to because you took away the penalty of my sins. I am declared righteous. I have a right standing before You because of Jesus. Thank You.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: