Thursday, August 19, 2010

Follow Me!

Jeremiah 45; Jeremiah 46; Jeremiah 47; Psalm 105; John 21
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

As For You…Follow Me!

Scripture

John 21

15 After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.”
“Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.

16 Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
“Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.”
“Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.

17 A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.

18 “I tell you the truth, when you were young, you were able to do as you liked; you dressed yourself and went wherever you wanted to go. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others will dress you and take you where you don’t want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to let him know by what kind of death he would glorify God.

Then Jesus told him, “Follow me.”

20 Peter turned around and saw behind them the disciple Jesus loved—the one who had leaned over to Jesus during supper and asked, “Lord, who will betray you?” 21 Peter asked Jesus, “What about him, Lord?”

22 Jesus replied, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? As for you, follow me.”

Observation

God has called you and God has called me and He has called us to follow Him. Don’t worry about how everybody else is doing just worry about how well you are doing at following Him.

This is the lesson that I get out of John 21 this morning. It is all about the Lord’s call on my life. It is not to be compared with what God wants to do with someone else’s life. What He wants to do or how He wants to use someone else is not my business.

That morning in John 21 was all about the restoration of Peter and Jesus wanted to make sure that Peter got the message right. Peter tried to turn the attention away from himself and so he asked Jesus “well what about him?” and Jesus told him not to worry about the call of other people but instead He told Peter again to “follow Him.”
I can’t help but relate this passage to another fishing experience where Peter was told to follow Jesus and if he did then Jesus would make him “fishers of men.” You see we find Peter out fishing for fish when he should have been fishing for men.
It is a reminder to me this morning that my calling is to be a “fisher of men.”

Application

I will be a fisher of men!

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to focus on being a fisher of men and not worry what everybody else is doing or not doing. Help me not focus on how You are using other people and help me to stay focused on how You want to use me.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: