Friday, October 08, 2010

Desperate For God

Ezra 9; Ezra 10; Psalm 131; Luke 21
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Desperate For God

Scripture

Ezra 9

3 When I heard this, I tore my cloak and my shirt, pulled hair from my head and beard, and sat down utterly shocked. 4 Then all who trembled at the words of the God of Israel came and sat with me because of this outrage committed by the returned exiles. And I sat there utterly appalled until the time of the evening sacrifice.

5 At the time of the sacrifice, I stood up from where I had sat in mourning with my clothes torn. I fell to my knees and lifted my hands to the LORD my God. 6 I prayed,

“O my God, I am utterly ashamed; I blush to lift up my face to you. For our sins are piled higher than our heads, and our guilt has reached to the heavens.

Observation

Humility, brokenness, and totally desperate for God is how we find Ezra in this passage. He said, “I am utterly ashamed; I blush to lift up my face to you,” when was the last time you and me came to God with this kind of humility and brokenness?

Ezra realized how much God had blessed the people of Israel and they were messing up again and he knew God would not continue to bless them if they did not repent. What they did next was pretty incredible, but it was totally necessary they divorced and exiled their pagan wives and sent them away with the children that they had conceived together.

It was a drastic measure but Ezra was desperate to maintain a right relationship with God. What drastic measure do we need to take to have a right relationship with our Heavenly Father? Are you desperate for God? What are you willing to do?

Application

I will ask God to search my heart and reveal anything that it keeping me away from having a right relationship with Him.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, show me anything that might be keeping me from You. Show me anything in my life that doesn’t please You. Then help me confess and forsake those sins so Your face will shine on my family and me. I want to reflect Your love today and I want people to be drawn to You through me. I want You to be the most important thing in my life today. I want to be totally desperate for You. Help me to be like Ezra sensitive to Your Holy Spirit. You are Wonderful. You are Worthy of my praise!

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: