Saturday, October 01, 2011

Do You Understand “Discipleship”?

Zechariah 10; Zechariah 11; Zechariah 12; Psalm 126; Luke 14
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Do You Understand “Discipleship”?

Scripture

Luke 14

26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

Observation

I don't think very many of us in the USA understand this passage or for that matter really understand discipleship. Our country has been so blessed that the cost of true discipleship has been very minimal, but that is rapidly changing. It won't be long before the cost of being a Christ follower will be something that is real and something that we feel. In other places in this world these verses are being lived out.

There are people being disowned by their family members even being put to death by their own parents because they have made the decision to follow Christ. The cost of discipleship is very high in many countries, but what is the cost of following Christ here in America?

What are you giving up? What is it costing you? What is it costing me? Are we willing to follow Christ even though it means leaving our family and our friends and going to some other place in the world to share the Good News. Are you willing to do that? Are you willing to give up everything?

I have to admit that I do not totally understand what Jesus means when He says, “And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.” Do you understand that verse? If you do let me know. I have ideas, but I don't completely understand it.

Application

It is my intention to live out the best I can being a disciple of Christ.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help understand and live out these verses so that You smile when you look down at me. Help me to please You with my thoughts and my actions today. You are an Awesome God. Thank You for allowing me to be Your disciple. Help me to deny myself today.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: