Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Physical Training Is Good, But Training For Godliness Is Much Better

 Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!

Physical Training Is Good,

But

Training For Godliness Is Much Better

Scripture

1 Timothy 4

Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.”

Observation

I went to the doctor yesterday to find out what was wrong with my left knee and heard him say these three awful words, “Bone on bone”!

So he filled my knee cap full of steroids and told me that the shot might help for a little while, but he said that down the road I would definitely be looking at a knee replacement.

So this was a good verse to read this morning – Eddy will focus on training for godliness and not worry about winning any marathons!

My aching knee is a not so gentle reminder that this old body of mine is rapidly wearing out … this old tent that I am living in is coming apart little by little and one day it is coming down. And the moment it totally collapses I will be in the arms of Jesus!

I sure hope that you have this same confidence in your future as I do in mine!

2 Corinthians 5:1-9

1 For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. 

We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 

3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies.

While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. 

God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit.

6 So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. 

7 For we live by believing and not by seeing. 

8 Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. 

9 So whether we are here in this body or away from this body, our goal is to please him.

Application

Even though this body of mine is wearing out I will do my best to take care of it so I can continue to serve the Lord.

How about you?

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

24 Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 

25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 

26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. 

27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, it is my desire to stay healthy enough to serve You until the day that You take me home. I have to admit that each and every health issue causes me to depend more and more on You. It also helps remind me that I need to take advantage of “today” because I have no guarantee about a tomorrow.

I pray for those who are struggling with health issues way more serious than mine. Give them strength. Encourage them today. I pray that their walk with You will be so close and so intimate because of all that they are going through. Smile on them today, Lord. Give them Your joy in spite of the pain!

Daily Bible Reading: 1 Timothy 1,2,3,4

Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!



No comments: