Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Don't Be Too Proud To Enjoy The Company Of Ordinary People. And Don't Think You Know It All!

 Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!

Don't Be

Too Proud To Enjoy The Company Of Ordinary People.

And Don't Think You Know It All!

Scripture

Romans 12

9 Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. 

10 Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. 

11 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.

12 Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. 

13 When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you. Don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them. 

15 Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. 

16 Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don’t think you know it all!

Observation

Romans 12 is packed full of godly advice for us to follow! Have you ever been around someone who thinks that they know it all? Have you been around someone who thinks that they are better than you? It is not pleasant so lets not be like one of those folks.

You and I are to live in harmony with those around us and we are to enjoy their company!

Verse ten says, “Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.” I think the verse means to really show someone how much they are valued by you and by God.

Last night at the hospital I talked with a man who was in the hospital with multiple health issues, all of them very serious, but I think his most serious issue was not his physical health, but his spiritual condition. He told me that he started drinking again right before Thanksgiving and I could tell that there was geniune remorse for this relapse.

As we talked, and we talked for a long time, I tried my best to convey to this man several key things: 1. God loved him and he was very valuable to God. 2. God wanted to use him to help other men walk in sobriety. 3. He would be able to walk in victory over his addiction to alcohol when he invested himself in the lives of other men who were struggling with addiction.

I don't know if anything I said to this man will help him, but I know that I had to show genuine love and affection for him and try to show him just how valuable he is to God.

Maybe you are struggling with an addiction, with a hurt, hang-up, or habit, and you need help. We are fortunate at our church to have Orville and Linda Renner leading “Celebrate Recovery”, a 12 step recovery ministry that places Christ as the Higher Power. Orville and Linda and their team have helped hundreds of people walk in victory and sobriety over the past 16-17 years. You can contact them at celebraterecovery2@hotmail.com .

Application

I will look for ways to lift people up who are spiritually down.

How about you? Do these verses encourage you to really love those around you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, whenever I am with someone who is struggling with spiritual issues like I was last night with this man and others at the hospital I feel so inadequate. I realize that I am powerless to fix anybody, but I am grateful to know that I can call on You and I know that nothing is too hard for You. So I pray for those who I talked to last night at the hospital and I ask You to work miracles in their lives. I pray for this man who doesn't realize how much You love him and how valuable he is to You.

I pray for any person reading this blog. Help them walk in sobriety if they are struggling with any kind of addiction. Help them to live in harmony with those around them. Don't let them be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people.

Daily Bible Reading: Romans 9,10,11,12

Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!



No comments: