Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Danger of Beauty!

2 Samuel 11; 2 Samuel 12; Psalm 51; Matthew 23
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

2 Samuel 11

2 One evening David got up from his bed and walked around on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, 3 and David sent someone to find out about her. The man said, "Isn't this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite?" 4 Then David sent messengers to get her. She came to him, and he slept with her.

Psalm 51

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. 5 Surely I was sinful at birth, 6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. 7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. 8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. 9 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.




Observation

David should have been out with his army, but instead he stayed home in his palace. When he looked and saw Bathsheba the look turned to lust. He was king and could have anything that he desired and at that moment he desired someone else’s wife. His focus was off of his God and he was driven by desire. It cost him dearly. After committing adultery he then murdered trying to cover up the sin. But God sent Nathan to confront David and David repented. Psalm 51 contains the words of a broken David, one who recognized his sin and finally confessed them. Even though David was forgiven of his sin the consequences that followed were terrible. I imagine that David often thought about how foolish it was to take Bathsheba that evening, but he had to live with the consequences of that sin the rest of his life.


Application

Guard your heart! Don’t let the glance become a stare and the stare become lust and lust become a David and Bathsheba moment!


Prayer

Heavenly Father, protect me from myself and help me to guard my heart. Keep me from sin that could destroy my family, my ministry, and me. Thank you for giving me this example of David with Bathsheba so I can learn from it.



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: