Friday, May 25, 2007

Stupid is as Stupid Does!

1 Kings 10; 1 Kings 11; 2 Chronicles 9; Romans 6
Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!


Scripture

Solomon's Wives

1 King Solomon, however, loved many foreign women besides Pharaoh's daughter—Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians and Hittites. 2 They were from nations about which the LORD had told the Israelites, "You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods." Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love. 3 He had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray. 4 As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been. 5 He followed Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molech [a] the detestable god of the Ammonites. 6 So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the LORD; he did not follow the LORD completely, as David his father had done.


Observation

How can the wisest man that ever lived be so stupid? How can you and me be so stupid sometimes? Solomon would have lived in complete peace during his lifetime. God would have continued to bless him, but Solomon disobeyed God. He disobeyed God first by marrying women from the surrounding nations. He didn’t just marry one; he married seven hundred wives of royal birth and then he had three hundred concubines. He had one thousand wives that followed other gods and he began to be influenced by them and began to worship their gods. How could he be so stupid? How can you and I be so stupid? It starts with one sin that goes unconfessed which leads to another and then another until our hearts are turned away from the Lord. How sad it is to see this happen to Solomon, but unless we are careful and guard our hearts it could be us too!


Application

David was a man after God’s own heart, but Solomon’s heart was not fully devoted to God. Psalm 119:11 says, “Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee.” Are you memorizing God’s word and placing his word in your heart?



Prayer

Heavenly Father, I don’t ever won’t to turn away from you. Help me stay close to you. Keep me from people or things that would turn me away from you. Guard my heart and protect me from things that would lead me astray. I want you to be able to say about me what you said about David, that I was a man after your heart.



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: