Monday, October 01, 2018

So You Cannot Become My Disciple Without Giving Up Everything You Own.


So You Cannot
Become My Disciple
Without Giving Up Everything You Own.
Scripture
Luke 14
33 So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.
Observation
Salvation is a free gift. It can't be earned. You and I can't do enough good things to get into Heaven through our own good works.
And even though salvation is free to all of us who say, “yes” to Jesus, there is a high cost of following Him. Jesus said, If you want to be my disciple, you must, by comparison, hate everyone else—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple. And if you do not carry your own cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple... you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.”
I heard a statement yesterday from Pastor Bruce Moore that I haven't been able to stop thinking about. Pastor Bruce said yesterday in his message, “In a relationship, someone can't have a high view of their partner, they cannot highly value him or her, if they do not have a high view of God, if that person doesn't highly value God.
And the sad truth is the same person will not have a high view of themselves either if they don't have a high view of God.
If you and I don't have a high view of the Creator, then we will not have a high view of the things that He has created.
Think about the relationship that you are in right now – does your partner highly value God? … Do you highly value God? No wonder he or she treats you the way they do.
No wonder you are in a mess!
In a relationship, for it to work the way God intended, we have to get the vertical relationship with God right first, before any horizontal relationship will work like it is supposed to!
Which brings me back to Luke 14 and our relationship with Jesus Christ, are we putting Him first? Do we have a high view of God? Do we highly value Him?
Application
I will make sure that Jesus stays number One in my life.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I know that if I don't have the right view of You then there is no way that the relationships in my life are going to be right. Help me to put You first, Kathy second, and everybody and everything else third. I know that I don't own anything. I know that You own everything. Help me to be a good steward of what You allow me to use while I am here on this earth.
Daily Bible Reading: Zechariah 10,11,12; Psalms 126; Luke 14

No comments: