Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Their Hearts Were Too Hard To Take It In.


Their
Hearts Were Too Hard
To Take It In.
Scripture
Mark 6
47 Late that night, the disciples were in their boat in the middle of the lake, and Jesus was alone on land. 
48 He saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. He intended to go past them, 
49 but when they saw him walking on the water, they cried out in terror, thinking he was a ghost. 
50 They were all terrified when they saw him. But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,”he said. “Take courage! I am here!” 
51 Then he climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. They were totally amazed, 
52 for they still didn’t understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in.
Observation
The disciples couldn't yet grasp who their leader was!
Even though they had just seen Jesus cast out a legion of demons out of a man and make an evangelist out of him, healing of a woman who had been suffering for 12 years with an unstoppable bleeding problem, the raising a 12 year old back from the dead, and the feeding of 5,000 men and their families using only a young boys lunch, consisting of 2 small fish and 5 small loaves of bread.
And yet even after witnessing all of those miracles they freaked out when Jesus came to them walking on the water! They were terrified when they saw him and they were totally amazed when he climbed into their boat, and the wind stopped.
What was their problem? Why couldn't they get it?
The disciples' problem in the boat that night is also the very same problem that you and I have – and it is a very serious problem – it is called a “hard heart”.
Having a hard heart will cause us to miss out on what God is doing in our lives and in the lives of those around us.
Plus, having a hard and unrepentant heart can get us involved in sin so deeply that we act out like an unbeliever, committing such sins described in Galatians 5:19-21 “being sexually unfaithful, not being pure, taking part in sexual sins, worshiping gods, doing witchcraft, hating, making trouble, being jealous, being angry, being selfish, making people angry with each other, causing divisions among people, feeling envy, being drunk, having wild and wasteful parties”
So lets guard our hearts.
Psalm 51:17
17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
    You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
Jeremiah 17:9
The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?
Proverbs 4:23
Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.
Ephesians 4:17-19
17 With the Lord’s authority I say this: Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused. 
18 Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against him. 
19 They have no sense of shame. They live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every kind of impurity.
Application
I will guard my heart and I will confess my sins as I commit them.
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I want to be able to see you at work in the lives of those around me and I don't want to miss the miracles that you are doing in my life. Help me to guard my heart. Don't let me do stupid sins that mess up my walk with you and that will mess up my relationship with those around me.
Daily Bible Reading: Job 21; Mark 5,6

No comments: