Monday, October 15, 2018

To Divorce Your Wife Is To Overwhelm Her With Cruelty


To Divorce
Your Wife
Is To Overwhelm Her With Cruelty
Scripture
Malachi 2
14 You cry out, “Why doesn’t the Lord accept my worship?” I’ll tell you why! Because the Lord witnessed the vows you and your wife made when you were young. But you have been unfaithful to her, though she remained your faithful partner, the wife of your marriage vows.
15 Didn’t the Lord make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his. And what does he want? Godly children from your union. So guard your heart; remain loyal to the wife of your youth.
16 “For I hate divorce!” says the Lord, the God of Israel. “To divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. “So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife.”
Observation

To Divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty,” says the Lord of Heaven's Armies.
So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife.”
Wow! And right before that God said this, “For I hate divorce!”
In verse fourteen of this same chapter we read that the 'Lord witnessed the vows you and your wife made when you were young.' Hello!
Now let me quickly say that this goes for wives too, especially in our culture! Wives need to love their husbands and they need to remain faithful to them too.
In fact, the last time I wrote about a passage that dealt with marriage and divorce I had a friend write me and he told me that his wife was the one that was treating him cruelly. He shared with me that for the past number of years she has been refusing to have sex with him. And he shared with me that even though she was withholding herself from him he was still committed to their marriage and he was still committed to keeping the covenant that he had made with her before God.
Satan is our enemy not our spouse, but Satan will sure try to mess up our marriage and he will try to make our spouse out to be the enemy! I do believe that marital strife and divorce is Satan's number one weapon in his arsenal that he uses against the church.
So lets guard our hearts; lets not be unfaithful to our spouse.
Application
I will guard my heart. I will be faithful to Kathy.
How about you? Have you been neglecting your spouse? Date night?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, marriage and family, they were both all Your idea. And marriage only works the way it is supposed to work when You are number One in our lives. Help me to keep Kathy in that number two spot and help me to keep You as number One. I pray for those who have gone through broken relationships and that may have even gone through the pain of divorce. Help them Lord. Where possible bring marriages back together even some that have already experienced divorce. You are the God of making the “impossible” possible. I have seen you heal marriages and restore relationships. You are a mighty God. Nothing is too hard for You!
Daily Bible Reading: Nehemiah 13; Malachi 1,2; Acts 4

No comments: