Friday, October 12, 2018

Why Am I Discouraged?


Why Am
I
Discouraged?
Scripture
Psalm 42
11 Why am I discouraged?
    Why is my heart so sad?
I will put my hope in God!
    I will praise him again—
    my Savior and my God!
Observation
King David was a man after God's own heart. God said that about David, it wasn't David bragging on himself.
And yet, even though David had this kind of love for God it didn't mean that he didn't struggle with discouragement and with depression.
After all a good part of King David's life was lived out hiding in caves and hiding out in the wilderness trying to escape those who were trying to kill him.
You and I will go through times of discouragement and through times of being down in the dumps. There will be times when we are going to be down, times when we are bummed out, and there will be times when we are not even going to be able to put our finger on the reason why we feel that way!
It is in those moments that we need to do just what King David did – we need to praise our Heavenly Father.
We need to turn to Him just like David did and we need to say to Him just like King David did, “Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God? I will praise Him again – my Savior and my God!” Depressed? Discouraged? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again – my Savior and my God!
So when we are down ... let's look up!
1 Chronicles 29:11
Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty. Everything in the heavens and on earth is yours, O Lord, and this is your kingdom. We adore you as the one who is over all things. 
Philippians 4:4, 6-8
Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! … Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 
Application
I will praise the Lord … whether I feel like it or not!
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, You know my thoughts. You know exactly how I feel and You know why I feel the way I do even when I don't why. So I will praise You when I am up and I will praise You when I am down. I am not going to operate based on the way I feel. Help me to walk by faith and not by sight. I praise you, Lord! I am fearfully and wonderfully made! I will put my hope in You! I will praise You again and again and again – You are my Savior and my God!
Daily Bible Reading: Nehemiah 7,8; Acts 1 ... I added Psalm 12, Psalm 42; Proverbs 12

No comments: