Monday, October 08, 2018

For They Have Given A Tiny Part Of Their Surplus, But She, Poor As She Is, Has Given Everything She Has.


For They Have Given A Tiny Part Of Their Surplus,
But She, Poor As She Is,
Has Given Everything She Has.
Scripture
Luke 21
1 While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box.

2 Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins.

3 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus said, “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. 
4 For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.”
Observation
This story fascinates me!
Jesus is watching as people give their offerings and He sees this widow drop in two tiny coins. He watched all the rich people give their offerings and then He compared what the widow gave to the gifts of the rich and her two tiny coins won out. She out gave everyone else!
Pastor Bruce said yesterday that there is that voice in our head that always challenges us when we get ready to give our tithes and offerings.
The voice in our head may say, “They may not spend or use my tithes and offerings in the right way, or the voice may say, “If I give my tithe and offerings then I won't be able to pay my bills!” And the voice in your head may tempt you not to be faithful by placing in your mind other similar thoughts, but the truth of God is this, “God loves a cheerful giver!”
So you might be wondering what happened to that widow who put everything she owned into that offering plate that day. Well I think I know.
The answer to what happened to that widow I believe can be found in these three passages of Scripture:
Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.” Luke 6:38
Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test! Malachi 3:10
Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.”And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. 2 Corinthians 9:6-8
Application
I will not listen to the voice in my head that questions my giving to the Lord.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me to honor You in my giving. Show me how to use what You have provided us in a way that honors You. I know that You are concerned with how I manage what You have loaned to me. You own everything and I know that what I have is just on loan to me. I am not taking anything with me when I leave this earth. Thank You for being so good to us. We are blessed.
Daily Bible Reading: Ezra 9,10; Psalms 131; Luke 21; Psalm 8, Psalm 138; Proverbs 8
...
I just saw this blog that I wrote on October 8, 2015
...
It Is Better
To Be Godly And Have Little
Than To Be Evil And Rich
Scripture
Psalm 37
16 It is better to be godly and have little
than to be evil and rich.
Observation
I can remember when God called me into the ministry and I started to go to college to prepare for the ministry. My father in law, Clayton Bearden, when he heard that I was going to stop working construction (I was making a lot of money) and start working part-time at the church (not making much money) he was not happy about my decision at all.
He said to me, “You are going to starve my daughter to death!”
It was a few years later while Kathy and I were living in Texas and while I was going to Seminary that Kathy’s Dad at 67 years of age gave his life to Jesus Christ. It brings tears of joy to my eyes just thinking back on what God did in Clayton’s life.
Kathy’s Dad watched how God took care of us. After Clayton gave his life to Christ he even starting sending us “love gifts”. Before he gave his life to Christ it would embarrass him when people helped us out by giving us food or helped us financially, but once he met Jesus all of that changed.
To this day I have never seen a life so transformed as Kathy’s Dad’s life. He only lived 2 years after accepting Jesus into his life, but what a different life he lived!
He was a walking example of 2 Corinthians 5:17 ... “When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside. He is not the same anymore. A new life has begun!”
Living godly lives doesn’t mean always doing everything right. You and I are broken. We are sinners. We will never do everything right!
Striving to put God first everyday is what it means to live a godly life. It doesn’t mean that we are going to do it perfectly.
Why don’t you stop right now and ask Jesus Christ to help you life a godly life? Ask Jesus Christ to take control of your life.
All the stuff, no matter how much you and I accumulate, will ever give us the joy that living for God and putting Him first can bring!

Application
I will strive to live a godly life today. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, right now my eyes are filled with tears of joy over what You did in the life of my Father in law. I know that if You did that for a man when he was 67 years old I know that You can save those in my family that still are acting like You do not exist. I will not give up on them.
Open their spiritual eyes so that they can see what they are missing. Bring people into their lives who will challenge them to live for You. Save them Lord. Please save them! Show them that it is better to be godly and have little than to be evil and rich.
> I have made it a habit to pray for those who read this blog! I enjoy lifting you and your family up to the Lord in prayer.


No comments: