Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Leviticus 20; Leviticus 21; Leviticus 22; Acts 20
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Acts 20

32 "Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. 33 I have not coveted anyone's silver or gold or clothing. 34 You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. 35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "

Observation

I think of the widow that Jesus says gave more than anyone else gave that day because she gave everything that she had. I think of the story of the Good Samaritan that gave to make sure a complete stranger was taken care of. Yesterday one of our church members came by the church to take a man that needed some help to get some clothes and some food. These are all stories of people giving of themselves and Jesus says that these people the generous folks will be the ones that are blessed.

Giving is better than receiving isn’t it. Then why don’t we do more of it? Buying someone lunch or some groceries, helping someone go to a conference, or helping someone go on a mission trip, maybe helping them get their car fixed, or fixing something broken in a home of a senior adult. Jesus says that the one doing the giving is the one that is blessed. Who needs a blessing from you today?

Application

I will look for someone to help today. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I am so blessed. So many people have helped us. If we bought people lunch every Sunday from now until we die I don’t think we could ever catch up to the amount of help that we have received. God we have been so blessed by others. Help us to be a blessing to those around us. Let me know when I should give to help someone and when I should not. Give me discernment Lord, but also give me a more generous heart. Make me sensitive to the real needs of those around me. Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

2 comments:

Drummer Chris said...

I need to tape this to my credit card! My number one driving force for getting straight financially is so I can give.

example:

A neighbor comes and says he has a flat tire and doesn't know how he's going to get it fixed.

Me now:

Man that stinks......uh......Well, see you later.

Me future:

Hop in my truck and let's go and get you a tire.

Eddy Williams said...

Chris,

I know what you mean! Thanks for taking a minute to write. I enjoy reading your blog. I don't usually make comments but I do read it. It encourages me when I read what God is showing you out of what we read!

Eddy