Friday, February 01, 2008

Why Shouldn’t I be Baptized?

Exodus 30; Exodus 31; Exodus 32; Acts 8
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Acts 8

34 The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?" 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.
36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?" 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. 40 Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

Observation

(Forgive me today if you are reading this and you are not Southern Baptist because I am venting today over an issue within our Baptist Convention. It is an extremely important issue to me. But I understand that it possibly isn’t for you. I don’t do this very often but today’s Bible reading about the baptism of the Ethiopian by Phillip stirred up this response within me.)

Some Baptist leaders in our Southern Baptist Convention have some strange ideas about baptism. Recently we have even let some of these leaders make rules that reject a person from missionary service with our International Mission Board if that person has been baptized in a church other than Southern Baptist. Where in the Bible do we have people getting baptized twice? Did I miss that chapter and verse?

Of course, the same group of leaders also created a rule that forbids someone serving as a missionary with our International Mission Board if they have a private prayer language. Even though the President of the International Mission Board has shared that he has the habit of praying in a private prayer language. Jerry Rankin has served us very well as President of our International Mission Board and it doesn’t bother me one bit about the way he handles his private prayer life. What is wrong with us? It is very evident to me at least that those that pushed that rule into existence were seeking to slap the President of the International Mission Board in the face. It would be like making a rule that someone couldn't enroll in Southern Seminary if they were a Calvinist even though the President of the Seminary was a Calvinist. Would that make sense? No it wouldn't make sense.

Where in the Bible do they get grounds for that rule? Did I miss that chapter and verse?

The next step for this group of men that made up the rule against the private prayer language would have been to get rid of the President that was in violation of their new rule. It is so obvious.

And having him continue to serve is a huge contradiction and I know must grieve the makers of this all important rule. How sad.

Firing the President is exactly what they would have done if trustee Wade Burleson had not stepped in and opposed their action.
It makes me sad today to think that we Baptist have allowed a few folks to take us to this place.

I am not smiling when I ask, “what Bible are they using to come up with such rules?”

Wade Burleson resigned this week as a trustee of our International Mission Board. Wade Burleson’s Dad was my pastor when Kathy and I were in seminary in Ft. Worth, Texas. I believe both he and his Dad to be men of integrity. Wade stood up and said that these two rules were wrong and the motives behind the creation of the two rules were equally wrong.

I am sad because there were no other trustees standing with Wade. I know some of the trustees personally and respect them, and that is what saddens me even more. Maybe if I was a trustee in their same position then maybe I would remain silent too. Maybe being in the room with a bunch of powerful pastors would be too intimidating for me also.

No one wants to stand alone or almost alone in a group like that and I understand that. But it seems to me that there should have been more voices in that group crying out against what has been allowed to happen. Some may feel that Wade’s approach has been wrong in the way he has attempted to stop these men. Maybe it has been? And maybe he hasn’t done everything in the right way. But at least he tried to do something. Let me repeat that again, but at least he tried to do something.


Let me ask my friends that sit on this board, now that Wade has resigned what are you going to do? Will you continue to remain silent? Who will be the voice? Will these men be allowed to continue to make rules like these two rules that I have just talked about? Rules that make no sense at all but cause a huge amount of damage. Will you allow them to force out the President of the International Mission Board now that Wade has stepped out of the picture?

We dealt with this same heart issue when we were on the mission field when our pastors would argue with us and say, “yes, we know that the Bible doesn’t say it”, but we have to not allow it for the discipline of the church.” I didn’t buy that argument then and I don’t buy it now.

Let’s get back to the Bible and what the Bible says. You know, that is the reason I am a Baptist because we are supposed to be people of the Word.


Application

I will not remain silent. How about you?


Prayer

Heavenly Father, you know how sad I am today over things within our Baptist Convention. I understand why men don’t stand up and voice opposition and tend to not want to stir the water. It is a very unpopular thing to do. I know that sometimes we think that for peace and harmony it is best to let things go, but I know that there are also times when you lead men to take a stand no matter what the cost. I pray for Wade Burleson today. I pray that you protect him from the evil one. Give him wisdom in how to handle himself. I pray that you bring men along side him to help him bring change to our convention. I pray for my friends on the board of trustees of the International Mission Board that you give them wisdom and give them courage to stand up and do what is right. Give them boldness. Don’t let them be blindsided but allow them to see and grasp what is going on. Help me to please you today with my thoughts and my motives. Search me and know my heart and cleanse me from anything that is not pleasing to you. Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: