Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is Anything Worth More Than Your Soul?

2 Samuel 4; 2 Samuel 5; Psalm 139; Matthew 16
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Matthew 16

22 But Peter took him aside and began to reprimand him for saying such things. “Heaven forbid, Lord,” he said. “This will never happen to you!”
23 Jesus turned to Peter and said, “Get away from me, Satan! You are a dangerous trap to me. You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, not from God’s.”

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.

26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?

Is anything worth more than your soul?

27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds. 28 And I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom.”


Observation

Psalm 139

13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
and knit me together in my mother’s womb.

14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.

15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.

16 You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.

There is more to us than just this skin and bones, more than just this body that we live in. We are made for eternity. The real us, our soul, is what we need to worry about. We need to look at things from God’s point of view and not from ours. We are selfish. Jesus had to go to the cross. He had to die for us. It was God’s plan. But Peter was trying to get Him to not do God’s will.

God has a plan for your life and He has a plan for my life. He saw us before we were born. He knew our names before we were born. He has created us for His purpose. We need to live for Him and not for ourselves.

Application

I will try to look at the events of this day from God’s perspective.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me see what is happening around me from Your point of view. I get so wrapped up in problems and situations that I fail to see Your hand at work in them. Help me to see things from Your perspective. Show me what is really important today.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: