Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bragging Rights!

1 Samuel 11; 1 Samuel 12; 1 Chronicles 1; 2 Corinthians 11
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

But whatever they dare to boast about—I’m talking like a fool again—I dare to boast about it, too. 22 Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I. 23 Are they servants of Christ? I know I sound like a madman, but I have served him far more!

I have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. 24 Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea.

26 I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. 27 I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.

28 Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak without my feeling that weakness? Who is led astray, and I do not burn with anger?

30 If I must boast, I would rather boast about the things that show how weak I am. 31 God, the Father of our Lord Jesus, who is worthy of eternal praise, knows I am not lying. 32 When I was in Damascus, the governor under King Aretas kept guards at the city gates to catch me. 33 I had to be lowered in a basket through a window in the city wall to escape from him.

Observation

Have you ever been to a Southern Baptist Convention annual meeting or the meeting of the Florida Baptist Convention? If you have you may have the opportunity to hear pastors boast about what they have been doing, but I don’t think you will hear a list of accomplishments like the Apostle just gave us.

We don’t usually boast about our weaknesses do we? Paul says, “If I must boast, I would rather boast about the things that show how weak I am.” Paul sharing that he had to be lowered in a basket through a window in the city wall probably wouldn’t be something that we would mention when we were bragging about ourselves.

Paul realized that all the miracles and all the people coming to Christ was God working through him and only God should get the praise and glory. I must admit there is always the temptation to want to be recognized when God does something in the lives of those in your congregation, but it is way better to focus on our weakness like Paul did!!

Application

I will strive to let God receive the praise and glory for what God is doing in my life and in our church.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to glory in my weaknesses and don’t let me think that I am something that I am not. I want You to do mighty works in our church and in the lives of our people. Don’t let me or our staff get in the way of what You want to do. Be glorified in us and through us. I pray that tomorrow would make You smile as we worship You. I pray that many people will show up that don’t normally come to church and that they are changed forever.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: