Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thorn in The Flesh

1 Samuel 13; 1 Chronicles 2; 1 Chronicles 3; 2 Corinthians 12
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

2 Corinthians 12

5 That experience is worth boasting about, but I’m not going to do it. I will boast only about my weaknesses. 6 If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won’t do it, because I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, 7 even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.

8 Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. 9 Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Observation

Praying for humility might very well be like praying for patience. Whenever someone in our small group ask for prayer to be more patient we all speak out at once and say, “Do you know what you are asking God to do?” To have more patience … to learn to be patient … patience is learned by experiencing adversity? So when you pray for patience you should be ready for what you are asking God to do and it is the same for someone asking for God to teach them humility.

God does humble His servants and He does it in many different ways: maybe it will be through a job loss, a financial setback, the death of a loved one, a physical illness, or having to take care of someone that you love that has a physical illness.

God does want us to be humble. You see it is only when we are humble that we depend on Him. That is why Paul says, “Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Application

I will take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and trouble that I suffer for Christ.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that it is only by being a humble servant that I will bring You glory. It is my desire to bring You glory and honor. Help me keep my heart, my attitude, and my priorities focused on You. Don’t let me let anything come between us. Do what ever You have to do in my life to keep me serving You. I pray for Kathy as she stays with her Mom tonight. Kathy’s Mom’s life is in Your hands. I pray that she would see Your face tonight. I know that the death of Your saints is a precious thing in Your sight. Psalm 116:15

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: