Wednesday, April 22, 2009

“Follow me and be my disciple”

1 Samuel 25; 1 Samuel 26; Psalm 63; Matthew 9
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Matthew 9

9 As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at his tax collector’s booth. “Follow me and be my disciple,” Jesus said to him. So Matthew got up and followed him.

10 Later, Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. 11 But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with such scum?”

Observation

The call of Jesus is not to salvation alone, but the call of Jesus goes beyond salvation to that of becoming a disciple or a learner of Jesus. When I talk to people about their relationship to Jesus I don’t know if I have ever heard someone tell me that they were one of his disciples. I have heard them describe their relationship with Jesus as good, as ok, as one that could be better, but I don’t believe I have ever heard someone say, “I am a disciple of Christ.” Maybe I have met a few people that have talked about being a disciple of Christ, using a little different terminology, but not many.

His call is for us to become his disciples. We are to be constantly learning, constantly growing in our relationship with Him.

How are you doing in your relationship with Jesus? Are you becoming a devoted Christ follower more and more each day?

Would the people that know you describe you as a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ? Why or why not!


Application

I will challenge men to follow Christ and become His disciples.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, the young man that I talked to today. I pray that he would become a devoted Christ follower. Speak to his heart about his need to come to Celebrate Recovery. Don’t let him rest until he says “yes” to You about this. Draw him close to You. Use people, use his current difficult situation, use anything and everything to get him right with You. I pray that You open up his spiritual eyes. I pray that his life be transformed by Your awesome power and might. I also pray for his wife and his children. I pray that You work a miracle in the lives of this family.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

1 comment:

Rick Morgan said...

Don't forget that our number one goal is to make disciples (Mt 28)