Monday, April 20, 2009

Preparing for The Storms of Life

1 Samuel 23; Psalm 31; Psalm 54; Matthew 7
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Matthew 7

24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. 26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. 27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”

Observation

Going to church and hearing sermons every Sunday is a good thing, but an even better thing is going to church every Sunday, hearing sermons and putting them into practice. Obedience to the Word of God is the crucial thing. It is the wise person that listens to the Word of God and then does it, but it is the foolish person that hears the Word of God and ignores it. I see it all the time. How many people that come to church hear the Word of God and then never open up the Bible during the week until the next Sunday?

Obedience is what anchors us so when the storms of life come we are able to weather them, but disobedience leaves us completely open to the full impact of the storms and we are washed away.

Are you grounded? Do you have a firm foundation? Is there disobedience in your life?

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
James 1:22

Application

I will be a doer of the Word this week and not a hearing only.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to be obedient to You this week. May Your word penetrate my heart and cause me to be obedient. I don’t want to be like the person You called foolish who built his house on the sand, I want to be like the person that built his house on the rock. Help me be obedient. Show me where I tend to disobey and give me the desire to follow Your word completely. Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: