Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Come to You in the Name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies … So I’m Armed and Dangerous!

1 Samuel 17; Psalm 9; Matthew 2
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

S
cripture


1 Samuel 17


45 David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of Heaven’s Armies—the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.

46 Today the LORD will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head. And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel! 47 And everyone assembled here will know that the LORD rescues his people, but not with sword and spear. This is the LORD’s battle, and he will give you to us!”


48 As Goliath moved closer to attack, David quickly ran out to meet him. 49 into his shepherd’s bag and taking out a stone, he hurled it with his sling and hit the Philistine in the forehead. The stone sank in, and Goliath stumbled and fell face down on the ground.
50 So David triumphed over the Philistine with only a sling and a stone, for he had no sword. 51 Then David ran over and pulled Goliath’s sword from its sheath. David used it to kill him and cut off his head.

Observation

What kind of giant are you facing today? Maybe the giant is your health, or the failing health or near death of someone that you love, maybe the loss of a job, or a broken relationship, children that have gone south or that have gone the deep end, or maybe it is the giant of loneliness or maybe you have a real person that is trying to hurt you like David had.


Have you ever really thought about the incredible faith that David exhibited that day? The giant Goliath was over 9 foot tall. He was a professional killer. He was the best of the best. No one person in Israel would go out to fight him. Saul was the tallest, the biggest, and the most likely candidate to go out and fight Goliath, but obviously he was too scared to go himself. But he lets this kid go out to do battle with this fully armored giant, armed with nothing but a sling shot and a shepherd’s staff.
Saul wasn’t aware of his secret weapon or he would have used it himself. Of course, Saul had this weapon at his disposal too just like we do today.

What was the secret weapon? Going out with the name of the living God on his lips was all that David needed. You know that he really didn’t even need the sling shot to defeat Goliath he could have gone out there empty handed and still defeated this enemy.

How? His secret weapon …the name of the LORD of Heaven’s Armies.
If you are a Christ-follower you have the same secret weapon …just do a word search in scripture on the word “name” and see if I am not right!

And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. John 14:13-14

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. John 15:16


In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. John 16:23-24


Application

I will face my giants with the name of the living God, the name of the LORD of Heaven’s Armies. “In Christ” nothing is too hard for me!


P
rayer
Heavenly Father, as I face my giants help me remember that I am armed with the name of the living God. I am Your child. I do not lack one single thing to fight the battles that will come my way because You will fight my enemies for me. I am more than a conqueror in Christ Jesus my Lord.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: