Friday, April 10, 2009

Serving An Audience of ONE!

1 Samuel 8; 1 Samuel 9; 1 Samuel 10; 2 Corinthians 10
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

2 Corinthians 10

18 When people commend themselves, it doesn’t count for much. The important thing is for the Lord to commend them.

Observation

Paul's character was under attack by the very people that had come to Christ through his ministry. They had begun to be influenced by false teachers and those false teachers were putting Paul down. Paul’s reply is a good one for all of us, “When people commend themselves, it doesn’t count for much. The important thing is for the Lord to commend them.”

You and I need to serve an audience of ONE. If the people around us don’t commend us for the ministry that we are doing we shouldn’t worry about it. We should be doing everything we do as unto the Lord and not do it for the approval of men.

Dr. Waylon Moore told me once (and maybe more than once) when he was my pastor and I was serving on staff with him, “Eddy, never take a pat on the back unless it is way down low!” It is a good thing to remember. In fact, I have never forgotten that word of wisdom and it comes to my mind just about every time someone says something nice about something that I have done. It would be easy sometimes to begin to think that we are more important than we really are when people brag on us.

Just in case you don’t understand what Waylon Moore meant when he said what he said let me translate it for you, “Don’t let the compliments go to your head (the pat on your back), but receive criticism that comes as a spanking (that is the pat on your bottom, the pat way down low!)

Application

I will send a copy of this blog to Bro. Moore and hopefully it won’t go to his head that I still remember things that he taught me!

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know today that it is You and You alone that I need to please. I realize that it is impossible to please everyone and it is not my job to live just to please people. I serve an audience of ONE and You are worthy of my worship. You are the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Thank You for mentors that have touched my life like Dr. Waylon Moore and his wife Clemmie. Help me impact others the way I have been taught to do by them! Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

1 comment:

martha said...

thanks so much, Eddy and Kathy, for YOUR Huge investment into the lives of so many people!! And for even recalling things like that, that you heard from my dad-- wow! So sweet. I just had a meeting with our larger team in this city/ area this past week for 2 days-- we did a workbook ahead on our gifts and personalities-- called "The Leadership Edge" by Paul Ford-- along with another test called Birkmann that you take on line (on the web). Then had a couple from the company come and interpret our scores for us-- very insightful into how I think, act, what stresses me, etc.